Re: newbie - just upgraded to RH9 from RH7.3 - any heads ups? - please help

From: Jean-David Beyer (jdbeyer_at_exit109.com)
Date: 09/30/04

Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 09:43:31 -0400

m.marien wrote:
> "Jean-David Beyer" <jdbeyer@exit109.com> wrote in message

>> .~. Jean-David Beyer Registered Linux User 85642.
>> /V\ Registered Machine 241939.
>> /( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey http://counter.li.org
>> ^^-^^ 22:50:00 up 7 days, 9:54, 3 users, load average: 4.60, 4.35, 4.29
>>

> That's a fairly heavy load average. My K6II 400 system went way over 25 when
> I first upgraded but when I added memory it went back down to zero. If I
> understand it correctly, you have 4 threads waiting for processor time at
> any given time ? Are you running some SETI's or do you just type really fast
> ?

I type really fast! ;-)

Actually, I am running BOINC that has two setiathome and two
climateprediction running. Luckily at nice level 19. When it really gets
hairy is when I populate an IBM DB2 UDB V8.1.7 database which runs over a
dozen server processes at once. Then the load average can exceed 10. But
the BOINC stuff tends to get out of the way at nice 19.

The BOINC stuff screws up the processor caches, though, and makes the
database slow down a lot, even though, nominally, it gets all the
processor time it wants. But it does not get cache hit ratio it needs, so
the disk IO goes at about half speed or a little less. With BOINC turned
off, I get about 12 Megabytes/second to the hard drives, but it drops to
around 4 when BOINC is running those applications, even though they are at
nice 19.

--
   .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
   /V\                             Registered Machine   241939.
  /( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey     http://counter.li.org
  ^^-^^ 09:35:00 up 7 days, 20:39, 4 users, load average: 4.30, 4.23, 4.24

Relevant Pages

  • Re: newbie - just upgraded to RH9 from RH7.3 - any heads ups? - please help
    ... > I first upgraded but when I added memory it went back down to zero. ... you have 4 threads waiting for processor time at ... I am running BOINC that has two setiathome and two ... But it does not get cache hit ratio it needs, ...
    (alt.os.linux.redhat)
  • Re: newbie - just upgraded to RH9 from RH7.3 - any heads ups? - please help
    ... > I first upgraded but when I added memory it went back down to zero. ... you have 4 threads waiting for processor time at ... I am running BOINC that has two setiathome and two ... But it does not get cache hit ratio it needs, ...
    (linux.redhat.misc)
  • Re: Debian (sid) painfully slow.
    ... But if it was swapping you would see the HDD light being lit when you ... The system box is under a desk and the HDD light is not easily visible. ... I have BOINC mopping up my spare cycles, ... on really heavy load sometimes memory manager is causing flood to memory ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Memory Management - memory availability after free
    ... is a cost, in processor time, to make the transaction. ... you wish freehad not given the memory back to the OS. ... What is needed is some function like heapshrinkwhich the programmer can ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: Memory Management - memory availability after free
    ... is a cost, in processor time, to make the transaction. ... you wish freehad not given the memory back to the OS. ... another which gives it back to the OS's pool. ...
    (comp.programming)