9.0 removes mouse & keyboard on first boot!

From: Exotic-Scales.com (jb_at_NOSPAM.exotic-scales.com)
Date: 10/06/04

    Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 18:52:54 -0400

    Okay, I'll try this again. When I first posted, I'd not yet gotten far
    enough to discover that RedHat removes both my mouse AND my keyboard at
    first boot. Here's the scenario:

    First of all, I should mention that I had RedHat 5.1 on the machine in the
    past and it worked fine. I ran through the media check before installing
    9.0, and the disks checked out fine.

    The first machine I tried this on is a CTX box with a 350 Mhz AMDK6, 168 Meg
    of Ram, and 16 Gig of Disk space. The keyboard is a standard Dell unit. The
    mouse is a Microsoft wheel mouse, which is recognized by the installation
    program as a Generic PS/2 Wheel Mouse. Both the keyboard and the mouse work
    fine throughout the installation.

    When the machine is booting, just after the "checking for new hardware"
    message, I get a graphical screen that says:

    The following mouse has been removed from your system: Generic PS/2 Wheel
    Mouse

    You can choose to:
    1. Remove any existing configuration for the device,
    2. Keep the existing configuration. You will not be prompted again of the
    device seems to be missing,
    3. Do nothing--the configuration will not be removed, but if the device is
    found missing on subsequent reboots, you will be prompted again.

    I choose 3 (note that the keyboard is working at this point).

    The computer then gets to the login prompt, and at that point, it isn't
    responding to the keyboard either.

    I next tried installing on a Dell Pentium-II 450 with a 10Gig SCSI drive,
    512 Meg Ram. (I also had RedHat 5.1 running on this machine some time
    back).

    In this case, everything installs fine, but when I go
    to reboot, I get a "Can't load operating system" message.

    Seems like RedHat may be Bill Gates' best advertisement.

    Joe

    • Compaq Proliant 1850R- Redhat: Switch KVM/Remove Keyboard = Lockup
      ... Compaq Proliant 1850R running Redhat that has had this ... Redhat since we have not seen this on the 1850's we have ... I suspect the keyboard port goes bad in some way that ... support it in emergency situations. ...
      (RedHat)
    • Lockup and now screwy keyboard
      ... I have an system with an older Redhat 7.2 inhouse system. ... The mcahine booted back up fine and no errors were detected any of the log files. ... I switched to other machines on this switch and the keyboard dose fine. ...
      (RedHat)
    • Re: Yahoo Messenger freezes Redhat 9
      ... >I recently installed Yahoo Messenger on a Redhat 9 computer and after it ... it kills the mouse and the keyboard. ... but FWIW I use YIM client under redhat 9 all ... email from you bounces, try non-HTML, non-encoded, non-attachments, ...
      (linux.redhat.misc)
    • 9.0 Removes Mouse & Keyboard on boot
      ... I should mention that I had RedHat 5.1 on the machine in the ... The keyboard is a standard Dell unit. ... The computer then gets to the login prompt, and at that point, it isn't ... I next tried installing on a Dell Pentium-II 450 with a 10Gig SCSI drive, ...
      (linux.redhat)
    • Re: Keyboard and Touchpad Crashes When Installing Update KB890830
      ... Bit Defender Anti Virus 2009 is a licensed and fully updated copy, ... Windows/System32/Drivers and is loading as a PS2 keyboard driver. ... Manager then shows that the drivers cannot load ... After installing the above update on a Fujitsu Lifebook E 8410 Laptop ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)