Re: testing instalation CDs/ installing from the hard drive

From: Paul Lutus (nospam_at_nosite.zzz)
Date: 10/26/04

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 12:32:39 -0700

someone@nospam.demon.co.uk wrote:

> I am using Fedora 2
>
> One thing and another I've installed FC quite a few times.
> I have never managed to get up2date to work.
> I tried YUM and that didn't work.
> Both of them start OK and then hang.
> Last reinstall but one I didn't install everything as I usually do
> and then found that it wouldn't let me install something which
> I had forgotten to install.

Define "wouldn't let me install". Leave nothing to the imagination.

> So it looks as if something to with the package management doesn't
> get installed.

That depends. How did you try to perform the installation?

> It would be obvious that the CDs are faulty but the checksum always
> is OK

Define "OK". Did you download the md5sum file for the ISO files, test the
ISO files against it, then test the created CDs against it?

> I still have the ISO images. I know it is possible to install by
> putting on the hard drive and mounting them but I can't
> find any info on how to do this.

$ sudo mount -t iso9660 -o ro,loop (path to ISO) (mount point)

--
Paul Lutus
http://www.arachnoid.com

Relevant Pages

  • Re: SNMP vulnerability test?
    ... Does Eric have wonky install CDs, ... it during installation (Network Management Tools -> Simple Network ...
    (Incidents)
  • RE: Random Management Point Reinstalls???
    ... The Management Point will install correctly without any issues if I ... again and stops the Exchange services when it tries to install. ... downing an Exchange box while performing out of hours SMS ugprade work! ...
    (microsoft.public.sms.admin)
  • Re: is that possible to do this upgrade?
    ... > the space requirement for ENT is 500MB though. ... do the in-place upgrade to install Exch2k ENT on top of Standard. ... >> Hence me returning to management of your existing resources. ... >> archives of the mailboxes to only retain x amount of mail. ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange2000.general)
  • RE: Mass deployment of security tools
    ... I know that NetSupport Manager allows remote installs and such; ... Original> I have been tasked with a project of installing various security ... Original> I want to install a number of security applications to windows ... Our program offers unparalleled Infosec management ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: What is best Linux flavor for office use?
    ... The next consideration would be ease of install and ongoing support. ... Installation is pretty easy for many of the distros as long as you let ... your responses mentioned ease of RPM-based package management. ... called apt-get to do upgrades and application installs. ...
    (alt.linux)