Re: testing instalation CDs/ installing from the hard drive

From: Paul Lutus (nospam_at_nosite.zzz)
Date: 10/26/04

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 12:32:39 -0700

someone@nospam.demon.co.uk wrote:

> I am using Fedora 2
>
> One thing and another I've installed FC quite a few times.
> I have never managed to get up2date to work.
> I tried YUM and that didn't work.
> Both of them start OK and then hang.
> Last reinstall but one I didn't install everything as I usually do
> and then found that it wouldn't let me install something which
> I had forgotten to install.

Define "wouldn't let me install". Leave nothing to the imagination.

> So it looks as if something to with the package management doesn't
> get installed.

That depends. How did you try to perform the installation?

> It would be obvious that the CDs are faulty but the checksum always
> is OK

Define "OK". Did you download the md5sum file for the ISO files, test the
ISO files against it, then test the created CDs against it?

> I still have the ISO images. I know it is possible to install by
> putting on the hard drive and mounting them but I can't
> find any info on how to do this.

$ sudo mount -t iso9660 -o ro,loop (path to ISO) (mount point)

--
Paul Lutus
http://www.arachnoid.com