Re: Sound Sticks, continual looping

From: David Efflandt (efflandt_at_xnet.com)
Date: 10/31/04

Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 16:48:53 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 08:19:40 -0400, Ross Contino <rcontino@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I am a Fedora Newbie. I have a clean install on a Athlon 3000+.
> Everything was fine until I used the Red Hat update to upgrade the core.
> Now my sound will stick at certain times....like an old record that gets
> stuck. XMMS works fine. I can play streaming music over the net fine,
> but if some web page has a sound, or if Ximian does mail notification,
> GAIM has buddy exit...it is all over. The sound sticks and continues to
> loop in about 2 second intervals locking the machine.
>
> My sound card is a VIA Technologies VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Card

I do not know if this is still an issue. But I had a repetition sound
problem on a PIII 500 Sony laptop years ago, that had built-in Yamaha PCI
sound that I think was AC'97 based. The solution in that case was to
disable PnP OS in CMOS setup (which did not affect Win98se any). In
my BIOS I changed the setting to:

Plug & Play O/S [NO]

I have not had that problem running 64-bit SuSE 9.1 on Athlon 64 3200+
(2GHz), which has AC'97 sound built into its gForce3 150 chipset. I use
AC'97 driver for XP Home and 64-bit AC'97 driver for XP Pro beta (both
unsigned from Realtek). I just figured out how to get digital music
working for CD and DVD in Linux using an xmms plugin.

--
David Efflandt - All spam ignored  http://www.de-srv.com/
http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/