Re: Sound Sticks, continual looping

From: David Efflandt (efflandt_at_xnet.com)
Date: 10/31/04

Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 16:48:53 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 08:19:40 -0400, Ross Contino <rcontino@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I am a Fedora Newbie. I have a clean install on a Athlon 3000+.
> Everything was fine until I used the Red Hat update to upgrade the core.
> Now my sound will stick at certain times....like an old record that gets
> stuck. XMMS works fine. I can play streaming music over the net fine,
> but if some web page has a sound, or if Ximian does mail notification,
> GAIM has buddy exit...it is all over. The sound sticks and continues to
> loop in about 2 second intervals locking the machine.
>
> My sound card is a VIA Technologies VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Card

I do not know if this is still an issue. But I had a repetition sound
problem on a PIII 500 Sony laptop years ago, that had built-in Yamaha PCI
sound that I think was AC'97 based. The solution in that case was to
disable PnP OS in CMOS setup (which did not affect Win98se any). In
my BIOS I changed the setting to:

Plug & Play O/S [NO]

I have not had that problem running 64-bit SuSE 9.1 on Athlon 64 3200+
(2GHz), which has AC'97 sound built into its gForce3 150 chipset. I use
AC'97 driver for XP Home and 64-bit AC'97 driver for XP Pro beta (both
unsigned from Realtek). I just figured out how to get digital music
working for CD and DVD in Linux using an xmms plugin.

--
David Efflandt - All spam ignored  http://www.de-srv.com/
http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Sound Sticks, continual looping
    ... I have a clean install on a Athlon 3000+. ... > Everything was fine until I used the Red Hat update to upgrade the core. ... > Now my sound will stick at certain times....like an old record that gets ... working for CD and DVD in Linux using an xmms plugin. ...
    (linux.redhat.misc)
  • Re: ALSA und OSS wurden gehandikapt (Re: Skype erkennt Mikrofon nicht)
    ... Sound ausgebe, z.B. Internet-Radio höre. ... ist Jack sicher die Lösung der Wahl. ... das nicht einfach funktionieren, ohne dass der Anwender von Hand ... oder 3% einer uralten Athlon 1800er-CPU? ...
    (de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc)
  • Re: Introducing.... my new PC!
    ... Can you guess what my new Athlon 4800 is gonna be called? ... been out for a while now, I would think they wouldn't sell Audigy anymore. ... the onboard sound on my previous nforce2 board was ... with low-end keytronic keyboards, but this time it seems to have ...
    (rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons)
  • Re: Static w/ onboard audio
    ... >> I recently assembled a system with an Asus A8V Deluxe running an Athlon ... It's not noticeable when I'm playing music or games ... >> I'm not an audiophile and my sound needs aren't that spectacular, ... these cables connected nowadays, ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: linuxkompatible "Einkaufsliste" fuer 64bit Desktop-System gesucht
    ... * moeglichst viel onboard (LAN, Sound, ...?) ... Athlon II und dessem 4Pin-Boxed-Lüfter, den das Board auch regelt. ...
    (de.comp.os.unix.linux.hardware)