FC3 & XP dual boot, 2 hard drives

From: josh simpson (josh.simpson_at_gmail.com)
Date: 02/02/05

    Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 04:22:10 GMT

    Severely stumped over here trying to get a working dual boot scenario w/
    FC3 on /dev/hdd (hd1) and XP on /dev/hda (hd0).

    Partitions on the linux drive are:

    hdd1 /boot *
    hdd2 /
    hdd3 /home
    hdd4 /swap
    hdd5 /extended
    hdd6 /var
    hdd7 /storage

    The linux drive used to exist alone in a box w/ only 1 hard drive & 1 OS,
    where it was /dev/hda. Now it is slaved to a cdrom in a new Dell XP
    (NTFS) box.

    I installed FC3 (Heidelberg) on /dev/hdd, reformatting the /boot
    and /var partitions while leaving all other partitions intact and
    simply writing new packages on top of the old filesystem.

    During the install I told grub to write the bootloader to /dev/hdd1. All
    seemed to go well, and I followed up by booting with a
    rescue disk, using dd to get the first 512 bytes off /dev/hdd1 and
    then copying it to the Windows drive, adding an entry in boot.ini, etc.

    XP's boot menu allows me to select my Linux drive (which of course points
    to the bootloading sector I copied over), but GRUB immediately dies after
    printing "GRUB", & no further error msgs are displayed.

    My grub.conf file looks like this :

    #boot=/dev/hdd1
    default=0
    timeout=10
    splashimage=(hd1,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
    title LinuxFC3 (2.6.9-1.677)
            root (hd1,1)
            kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=/dev/hdd2
            initrd /initrd-2.6.9-1.667.img
    title WindowsXP
            rootnoverify (hd0,1)
            chainloader +1

    I have tried variations on the naming schemes above, like

                kernel (hd1,0)/vmlinuz ro root=/dev/hdd2

    and so forth, all to no avail.

    I am 99% sure I have the naming convention & syntax correct w/ grub.conf,
    although perhaps not.

    Booting into rescue mode, and chrooting to my mounted filesystem image, I
    have run grub-install, both grub-install /dev/hdd1 and grub-install --
    root-directory=/boot /dev/hdd1. I have then of course re-run dd
    if=/dev/hdd1 of=/linux.bin bs=512 count=1 to save out my bootsector, copy
    it to windows partition using explore2fs (because I'm using NTFS) etc.
    I have also tried grub-install /dev/hdd, despite the fact that it is hdd1
    that is primary & bootable partition, but it didn't work anyway.

    I can't get beyond the stalled GRUB text.

    Any suggestions, or pointers to relevant threads anywhere?

    Going on 3 days, and this is starting to really annoy me.

    Thanks very much in advance,

    Josh

    • Re: F8/F9 Multiboot question
      ... > 1) Boot in Fedora-Live ... > + Disk drives are DIFFERENT, not necessarily the same as when booted ... This was the grub I "popped" ... partitions for 3 boot directories, boot-sys, boot-f8, and boot-f9, ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: F8/F9 Multiboot question
      ... Disk drives are DIFFERENT, not necessarily the same as when booted ... For example, when you boot in Fedora, the 3 ... This was the grub I "popped" ... partitions for 3 boot directories, boot-sys, boot-f8, and boot-f9, ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: [opensuse] Moving grub/boot to second disk.
      ... partitions) Going to leave both disks in the PC. ... If I change the boot disk order in the BIOS, ... How do I install grub in the mbr/partition boot record? ... Windows will not like having the clone in the system at the same time as the original. ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: quad boot w98, w2k, suse, slax?
      ... The second one needs to be run as root, unless the user calling it is a ... The first on will tell you which partitions are mounted, ... that is the partition with the unknown Linux. ... Knowing where the unknown Linux is, we can then add it to grub. ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)
    • FC3 & XP dual boot, 2 hard drives
      ... Severely stumped over here trying to get a working dual boot scenario w/ ... Partitions on the linux drive are: ... During the install I told grub to write the bootloader to /dev/hdd1. ... then copying it to the Windows drive, adding an entry in boot.ini, etc. ...
      (linux.redhat.install)