Re: Problem displaying linux console from Windows 2k

From: Tmio Makinen (notmyemail_at_server.com)
Date: 02/04/05

Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 05:13:20 -0500

what is windows ?

"Pepebuho" <p1e2p3e4b5u6h7o8@pananet.com> wrote in message
news:bdbp89091f@enews4.newsguy.com...
> Hi
> I am a newbie and I installed a headless server next to my Windows 2K
> computer in order to learn better about Linux.
>
> My problem is as follows. Everytime that I login to the server and execute
> "man" to look up the manual pages, I get some garbage characters on the
> screen.
> I have tried accessing my server using the following methods:
>
> 1. Cygwin environment using SSH
> 2. telnet from cmd.exe
>
> If I do "man bash" from the Cygwin shell inside my Win2K system, I get the
> following after NAME:
>
> bash - GNU Bourne-Again SHell
>
> If I conect to my headless server using ssh from the cygwin environment, I
> get the following:
>
> bash ‚^' GNU Bourne‚??Again SHell
>
> If I do it by using telnet (the plain vanilla from windows2k) I get the
> following:
>
> bash ?Í∆ GNU Bourne?«…Again SHell
>

> And like those lines, there are several others with strange characters in
> between.
>

> I know that for some reason, ssh and telenet are not interpreting some
> escape sequence character. My question is the following.
>
> 1. How and Where can I find in Linux the format definition for the output,
> including what type of escape character they are using when somebody
> connects from outside the server. I am using redhat 8.0
>
> 2. what commands, if any do I have availabel under cygwin or ssh to
properly
> interpret such an input?
>
> 3. what commands if any do I have available under Windows2k telnet to
> properly interpret sush an input?
>
> thanks, I apreciate whatever help or pointers for info you might provide
me
> with.
>
> Javier

Relevant Pages

  • Re: FC6 VPN
    ... Then you can run any application you would like off the server by simply running it, or if you want to run a whole session, use gnomesession. ... ssh client that supports X forwarding, which is want you want to be looking at. ... SSH allows you to forward any local port to any remote port. ... If you need to connect to, say a windows share, you would forward your local port to the linux server through the ssh tunnel. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: OpenSSH Windows Security
    ... SFTP is typically defined as using an SSH capable FTP client to connect ... It uses the "native" commands on the server to provide ... (does Tuxcmd have a Windows port)? ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: OT: Open Source Citrix?
    ... session over an SSH tunnel. ... the massive performance hit it will inevitably lay on your PC. ... use it to access my Linux server over a 1.5/1 Mb/s ... very un-fond memories of windows x-servers. ...
    (uk.rec.motorcycles)
  • Re: Quick question | Hummingbird Connectivity Secure Shell Version 12.00
    ... our windows servers so that we can use SSH to login / sftp etc. ... Now I am almost sure that "Hummingbird Connectivity Secure Shell ... Version 12.00" is a client software to connect to an SSH server and is ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: Re(2): Re(2): FTP security on *nix
    ... Subject: Re: Re: FTP security on *nix ... Since I am helping a non-profit organization out and for now only use the SSH things for them and not for a commercial opportunity, ... I installed the SSH server on the Linux box and we installed http://ssh.com Windows clients on our home ... The server is version 2, of course, but the SSH server seems to be down at this moment so I cannot provide the exact version number ...
    (Security-Basics)