Fedora Core 3 installed on a 27gig USB Drive Boot Problems

From: Whitewater (whitewater_3_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 02/07/05

    Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 01:54:39 GMT

    Hello. I just finished installing Fedora 3 on a USB drive and I'm
    having trouble booting it. My computer supports booting from a USB
    device from the boot menu.

    When I choose to boot from the USB drive, I get 'GRUB' up in the left
    hand corner of the screen, but it just hangs there.

    I found some instructions on getting it to boot properly from the USB
    device, but they're not working for me. here's what the instructions
    say:

    Boot from Fedora Disk1 (in my case, the DVD) and type 'linux rescue'
    and answer the questions bout language when they come up, when it asks
    you if you want to search for the installation, click 'skip this step'
    and you will be brought to a shell.

    the directions say his setup is / on /dev/sda2 and /boot on /dev/sda1'
    and that mine may differ.

    CODE

            mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/source
            mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/source/boot
            chroot /mnt/source

    Next, create the initrd, with the usb driver included

    CODE
            mkinitrd --preload=ehci-hcd --preload=usb-storage
    --preload=scsi_mod --preload=sd_mod /boot/initrd.img 2.6.9-1.667smp

    I am running that kernal number and have HT so I add smp

    next, edit grub.conf

    CODE
            nano /boot/grub/grub.conf

    put the new initrd file name initrd.img in place of what's there. save
    and exit nano. reboot and it should work.

    I can't get past the mounting of the usb device.

    my PC configuration is
            P4 3.06ghz
            512 meg ram
            200gb SATA-150 hard drive
            NO FLOPPY
            HP 16dvd-+rw drive
            48x cdrom

    I tried to identify the usb drive through the boot process after
    typing 'linux rescue', but the text went by so fast, I couldn't read
    it.

    Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance
    David

    • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ USB BOOT ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      ... boot external sata on usb ... usb boot disk download ... which usb drives will boot dell ...
      (sci.psychology.personality)
    • Re: soundcard SoundBlaster PCI128 or SoundBlaster live1024 problem
      ... > What messages are you getting from boot log and dmesg? ... ACPI tables contain no PCI IRQ routing entries ... RAMDISK driver initialized: 16 RAM disks of 64000K size 1024 blocksize ... USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver v2.2 ...
      (comp.os.linux.hardware)
    • Re: Naming harddisks (Linux)
      ... But I also see that for an USB drive it uses /dev/sdas the ... Does GRUB recognize SCSI drives? ... The first step in understanding the boot process is to ... The bootloader's job is to load the OSs kernel. ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • Re: USB key requirement.
      ... I figured that after the root partition is mounted (nfs), ... wondering what good means the usb key in this case. ... continue the boot sequence. ... the key would be checked right after the block device is ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: UPDATE: El Torito Boot CD - USB CD-ROM
      ... There should be nothing preventing you from booting from USB CD-ROM as long ... Basically you have to make sure you included USB 2.0 boot component in your ... I can boot other CDs including Windows PE created CDs from the USB CD ROM ... What is different about running Windows XPE from a USB CDROM as opposed ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded)