What's wrong with my modprobe (RHEL4 / aic7xxx scsi )?

thatseattleguy_at_hotmail.com
Date: 05/21/05

    Date: 21 May 2005 12:47:35 -0700

    I have a Dell 1600sc server running RHEL4; it's got SCSI RAID onboard.
    I recently added a scsi tape drive using a seperate AHA-2940UW card
    (drive was SE and onboard is only LVD). I can get card and tape to work
    if I *manually* do an insmod:

    cd /lib/modules/2.6.9-5.0.5.EL/kernel/drivers/scsi/aic7xxx
    insmod aic7xxx.ko

    (this then also does an automatic "insmod st" as well)

    My question - why isn't this insmod happening automatically at boot
    time when modprobe runs? My modprobe.conf seems reasonable to get this
    to happen:

    alias eth0 e1000
    alias usb-controller ohci-hcd
    alias scsi_hostadapter mptbase
    alias scsi_hostadapter1 mptscsih
    alias scsi_hostadapter2 megaraid_mbox
    alias scsi_hostadapter3 aic7xxx

    (no, I'm not sure why the onboard SCSI raid takes three different
    lines...but according to lsmod they all seem to be getting loaded.
    would the order of the hostadapterX numbering make any difference?)

    TIA for any pointers/advice.

    /jdr/