Re: RHEL 4.0 on Compaq Itanium 1 - can it be done? _documentation?

sam_at_pharo.com
Date: 08/02/05

Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 01:30:55 GMT

More research seems t indicate a problem, with all current distros,
recognizing the internal Smart Array Controller.

If this is the case, can I kust pluch an old SCSI adapter into the
unit, and then put some old drives onto this?

Does anyone have any documentation for this system?

Thanks,

kaschenat a ttdotnet

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 12:56:34 GMT, sam@pharo.com wrote:

>Has anyone been successful at loading current version of Red Hat on
>Compaq 590/64 Itanium system? I bought one to "explore" new Linux
>release, but have been unable to load OS. After properly part-ing the
>disk and then loading disk 1, the system uncompresses into ram disk
>and begins installation. There is now apparent way to stop screen
>scrolling past, and virtual term keys do not work.
>
>As near as I can see, the system decides that there is something wrong
>with some aspect of the scsi channel, and then goes into the normal
>screen based (as opposed to graphics based) install mode.
>
>The screen does not clear, however before starting the install, and
>after asking for the country, the keyboard type, the load type (CD,
>NFS, FTP or HTTP), it says that I don't have a CD in the drive
>(obviously I do), and it will not progress. I can go back to the
>"which country" screen, but no further. Interestingly, the system
>forces me to the dreaded "paper clip method" of opening the CD drive
>at this point. Even after doing this, and then reclosing the drive to
>initialize it agin, there is no change.
>The Compaq log from the EFI system is not logging any problems with
>the scsi channel, or with the drive.
>
>Has anyone loaded 4.0, or 3.0 on this Itanium 1 system, or any Itanium
>1 system?
>
>response is kaschenatattdotnet

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Windows Xp crash
    ... Message came up "Disk Boot failure.: ... indicated that all drives had no disk inserted. ... I tried about a week ago to install Windows 7 on the second hard ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: Boot Problem
    ... Was either disk set up as a Microsoft dynamic disk? ... Do not change the boot sector signature. ... I ensure all OK by swapping over drives. ... installing XP as it insisted there was no drive to install itself on! ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: Wont boot from SATA drives
    ... The only tricky part of the command, is verifying the disk is at /dev/hda ... I have had to do that on occasion, to be able to install an OS on a hard ... in that the add-in Silicon Image RAID ... "6 Using Hard Drives as Non-RAID ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: Installing XP-Pro
    ... The disk spins, various programs are read from it ok, and then when it ... Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer. ... hit the F6 key to install a third party SCSI or RAID driver. ... A similar program is VirtualBox. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)