Packaging with RPM?

valrub_at_hotmail.com
Date: 08/08/05

Date: 8 Aug 2005 13:09:15 -0700

I'm using RedHat FC3 and I'm little bit new to the RPM in term of
creating packaging.
I understood (from the tutorials) that RPM unpacking, compiling source
code, building and packaging application.
But what about just creating package, such as in my case I need to use
RPM just for packaging (without compiling source code) software (list
of files) for later distribution.
Is it any way to do it? How to do it? Maybe some simple example exist
or some appropriate source/tutorial?
I'll relay appreciate any help!

Thank you,
Val

Relevant Pages

  • Packaging with RPM?
    ... I understood that RPM unpacking, compiling source ... code, building and packaging application. ... RPM just for packaging (without compiling source code) software (list ...
    (linux.redhat)
  • Re: rpm experiences [was: Backing up whole system]
    ... pages pointed at as the simplest possible intro document for ... building an rpm: It was a 97 page long pdf file. ... you can often skip some of the Fedora packaging guidelines. ... with the .deb packaging tools, then with amazement, they emerged ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Experienced package builders: please test my first RPM
    ... > packaging efficacy? ... This generates workable RPM packages, ... For more complex projects, e.g. where ... using distutils may not be possible. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Bugzilla, RT3 and Trac
    ... FHS, GCS, the Fedora Packaging Guidelines, and is a valid rt3 ... This is way beyond what any rpm can do and will ... It requires a DNS name and configuration in sendmail to ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Using CPAN to update perl modules
    ... modules that aren't yet packaged by Fedora. ...  Are there any caveats to using CPAN to install ... RPM and CPAN perl modules. ... some basic RPM packaging skills then this may be your best bet: ...
    (Fedora)