Re: HELP! Win98 rewrote the MBR

From: Bit Twister (BitTwister_at_mouse-potato.com)
Date: 10/21/05

    Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 06:16:34 -0500

    On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 11:06:58 GMT, Captain Nemo wrote:

    > As might be expected, RH9 Linux was still fine but Win98 required a
    > reinstall the other day. However, what I failed to realise was that
    > reinstalling Win98 would overwrite whatever GRUB had written to my MBR, so
    > now I've lost the boot menu.
    >

    > As you can probably tell, I'm not a hardware person and I'm rather nervous
    > about how to rectify this problem. My primitive impressions are that:
    >
    > a) I should be able to get the boot menu back by booting a
    > rescue disk and running

    Just guessing, ON Redhat/Fedora I think you have to do a
         chroot /mnt/sysimage
    first.

    > grub-install /dev/hda and that

    • Re: Recovered File Fragments
      ... Before reinstalling Win98, copy the files boot.ini, ntdetect.com, ntldr and ... Ideally to a floppy ... AFter installing Win98, copy the files above back, boot from your Win2000 ... This will restore your ability to boot Win2000 ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
    • Re: Recovered File Fragments
      ... Before reinstalling Win98, copy the files boot.ini, ntdetect.com, ntldr and ... Ideally to a floppy ... AFter installing Win98, copy the files above back, boot from your Win2000 ... This will restore your ability to boot Win2000 ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.cmdprompt.admin)
    • Re: Recovered File Fragments
      ... Before reinstalling Win98, copy the files boot.ini, ntdetect.com, ntldr and ... Ideally to a floppy ... AFter installing Win98, copy the files above back, boot from your Win2000 ... This will restore your ability to boot Win2000 ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.file_system)