Re: HELP! Win98 rewrote the MBR

From: Malcolm Dew-Jones (yf110_at_vtn1.victoria.tc.ca)
Date: 10/21/05

Date: 21 Oct 2005 10:11:35 -0700

Captain Nemo (nemo@nospam.com) wrote:
: Hi

: I'm running Win 98SE and Red Hat 9 on an IBM Thinkpad T30. When I
: originally installed both operating systems I did Win98 first and then Red
: Hat. When installing Red Hat 9 I accepted the default boot options (GRUB,
: MBR and No LBA32).

: As might be expected, the Linux was still fine but Win98 required a
: reinstall the other day. However, what I failed to realise was that
: reinstalling Win98 would overwrite whatever GRUB had written to my MBR, so
: now I've lost the boot menu.

: However, using Partition Magic to view the Linux partitions it looks like
: everything is still OK.

: As you can probably tell, I'm not a hardware person and I'm rather nervous
: about how to rectify this problem. My primitive impressions are that:

: a) I should be able to get the boot menu back by booting a
: rescue disk and running

: grub-install /dev/hda and that

: b) If this doesn't work I should at least be able to get Win98
: back by booting from a DOS boot-disk and running:

: fdisk /mbr

: Any help and/or comments gratefully received.

In earlier version of redhat (7.x), I have fixed that sort of problem by
simply "re-installing" the linux.

The install doesn't do anything since everything is up to date, but the
install gives you the option of setting up the boot process. At that
point I define whatever I need and the install takes care of the details.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Copying Bootable Drive C: to Second Hard drive
    ... the new (bigger) drive to Master, and I'd have a bootable bigger drive. ... times, once I ended up with a dual boot creation, which was a major pain ... I NEVER have these problems with Win98. ... I'll probably install 98 on this spare computer too, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Formatting Question
    ... Malke details re installing the Win98 OS on the user's 20 ... GB HDD, is there any reason in this case why the OP could ... not simply boot to his or her Win98 installation CD ... one on which he or she desires to install the Win98 OS) ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Can I set up dual boot this way
    ... If using the XP boot manager, ... records (Win98 and XP) will be on C: There will be no boot records on ... and install XP system there with all the programs on the new drive? ... >HAL (Hardware abstraction layer), ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)
  • Re: Dual Boot Advice Needed
    ... Except for the few "system files" that start the boot process, WinXP can be installed on any volume on any HD in your computer. ... Physically install your second HD. ... you will see a menu asking whether you want to boot into Win98 or WinXP; you'll have 30 seconds to decide before it defaults to one of them. ...
  • Re: Installing Win98SE on 2nd slave hdd
    ... The Golden Rule is to install the NEWEST Windows LAST. ... But Win98 Setup knows nothing of Win2K ... so it can't boot from one. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)