Grub Read Error on 1st boot after install

From: fireball (steve.mclemore_at_hcahealthcare.com)
Date: 11/08/05

Date: 8 Nov 2005 14:46:15 -0800

I'm new to Linux. Been considering getting started for years. Now
that I have gotten started, I've crashed my Win98 system or at least it
won't boot now.

The system is a Dell Pentium 233 with Win98 on Drive C which also has
or had two logical partitions E: and F:. I installed a 20gb hd to
install Linux on. The Linux distro. I used came with Christopher
Negus' book "Red Hat Fedora 4.0 Bible". I followed the install chapter
to the letter I think, to set up a dual boot system, with the complete
Linux install. The setup routine formatted the drive and installed
seemingly without a hitch.

When it came time to reboot, I got a "Grub Read Error". I shut off
the power a number of times, but "Grub Read Error" is the only response
 that I get. I don't find anything in the "Red Hat Fedora Bible" book
that covers this problem.

Thanks in advance for any help in recovering from this. I'd be really
dissapointed if I can't get this working, I mean I've waited for so
long. I was really looking forward to getting away from Windows.

Relevant Pages

  • >>>> INSTALL LINUX <<<<
    ... Linux Http Install Syntax ... Install Linux On Usb In Windows ...
    (comp.mail.sendmail)
  • Re: The Microsoft stranglehold on its users....
    ... loadlin to boot up linux manually by hand from DOS. ... LILO had bugs and it was a trap because to uninstall LILO you had to get a successful boot into Linux and uninstall it from the utility. ... The latest Red Hat Workstation Linux just loads everything on your box with little or no choices and then around version 7 they started to include CDROM drivers for the new, not the old CDROM drives. ... And, I tried the trick of using the old Linux install to mount the new OS software CDROM disk, copy the whole disk to a different partition, then run the install and that would not work either. ...
    (sci.research.careers)
  • Re: Anyone tried basiclinux?
    ... Don't want to see the dos prompt anymore. ... You are not prepared to use linux yet. ... and wiped out the entire install. ... Boot floppies are a legacy thing nowadays, ...
    (alt.linux)
  • Re: Grub Read Error on 1st boot after install
    ... > I'm new to Linux. ... > won't boot now. ... > install Linux on. ... use a second hard disk rather than just different partitions on ...
    (linux.redhat.install)
  • Re: Can someone else help? Was changing partition size.
    ... I tried the supposed fix to make Windows 98SE boot up with more ... than a gig of memory but that has not worked either. ... The last time I did that set of changes, it was done by using a Linux LiveCD ... and finish the Win98 install. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)