Re: Upgrading to SMP

Marc Schwartz wrote:

> I have been running RH on Dell Inspiron laptops, without problem. I
> don't use the SMP kernels, despite having an HT CPU, both due to
> problems and the lack of demonstrated performance benefit.

Good for you, I'm glad your happy.... but it seems your missing the point.
Your problem and performance issues may be resolved if you roll your own
kernel. Like I said, Red Hat supplied kernels are OK for the most part, but
they are sometimes not the best choice for every system.

--
"A personal computer is called a personal computer because it's yours,
Anything that runs on that computer, you should have control over."

  • Re: Aargh - All Kernels Panic
    ... > any of the hardware, suddenly all the kernels have started to panic, ... > going to be down to the MB, the CPU ... CPU and maybe memory -- depending on the new MB) ... "A personal computer is called a personal computer because it's yours, ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: Wireless lan for Linux...
    ... > I've personally experienced great support since late 2.4 kernels for ... > Linksys has a Broadcom chipset and has worked great under 2.4 and 2.6 ... "A personal computer is called a personal computer because it's yours, ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: Upgrading to SMP
    ... > from scratch. ... there is nothing wrong with the kernels suppiled by Red Hat but I ... "A personal computer is called a personal computer because it's yours, ...
    (linux.redhat.install)
  • Re: Booting the right kernel?
    ... Carlos Moreno wrote: ... If your not compiling kernels, ... "A personal computer is called a personal computer because it's yours, ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: kernel mess
    ... That was a traditional i386 install, no problem, very ... Then I purchased a new cpu, ... These two kernels are installed alongside my 2.6.8-2-k7 and all of them ... But the hardware is able to run 64bit (amd64) debian-installers from. ...
    (Debian-User)