Re: Unable to get X server to start on Fedora Core 5

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 19:22:18 -0700, n1vxs wrote:

I noticed that ATI has a proprietary driver for XFree86 at
https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&folderID=27.
They say it works with Red Hat Enterprise and SUSE. Does anyone have
experience with this and FC5?

I'm a few months late to help the original poster but I'll put this up
here for anyone who comes across this thread in a google search:

I've got a Radeon 200M. Both the Radeon and the ATI drivers will "sort of"
work but eventually lead to flakiness because neither is exactly right
for this card. VESA mostly works but you'll occasionally get hangs on
existing out of X. (If that happens, try switching back to X, wait a
minute, then try switching out to a console. Sometimes it works, sometimes
it doesn't)

The easiest way to get 200M support is to install the xorg-x11-drv-fglrx
driver from rpm.livna.org. Ignore their instructions there - I think
they're for FC4 because they didn't work for FC5.

Here's how I do it:

1) rpm -ivh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-5.rpm

This will install livna.repo in /etc/yum.repos.d/, and also installs the
RPM-GPG keys for livna RPM's.

2) yum install xorg-x11-drv-fglrx

This installs the fglrx drivers for X11 and will also adjust
/etc/X11/xorg.conf for fglrx. It backs up xorg.conf as
xorg.conf.backup-ati-fglrx. If the driver can't start up, it appears to be
set up to copy this back to xorg.conf and start X using the previous
driver.

If you do all this while X is running, just restart it and the new drivers
should take effect. A good way to test them is to try some of the GL
screensavers.

There's also a kernel module - "kmod-fglrx" - at Livna but it
doesn't appear to be critical. I think it may be for use by the console
framebuffer so you may need it if you want to change your font sizes when
in the console. If you do get this file, be sure to get the correct one
for your kernel version.

.