Re: Newbie: Fedora Core 4 Dual hard drive boot problems

Somebody by the name of SBeik scribbled in linux.redhat.install
<1154869225.542158.6520@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> :

Sandgroper wrote:

During the installation , you should really have done the partitioning by
using the Custom option instead of the automatic option so that you can
have a greater control over the partitioning of hdb.

BINGO!;-)

At long last, I have managed to get my configuration to work. The main
problem, or more accurately the bug with installing Fedora Core 4 is
the automatic partitioning. This option simply does not work, when one
has two drives, one with any operating system (it seems) on hda and the
second being either hdb, hdc or i suspect hdd.

The main problem is that initrd causes an abort with Error 16 :
Inconsistent filesystem structure. Asif the system gets confused about
it own auto configured partitioning.

So after manually partitioning my second hard drive and this time
configuring Grub to modify my MBR on hda; the working grub.conf looks
like this:

grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this
file
# NOTICE: You have a /boot partition. This means that
# all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
# root (hd1,0)
# kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hdb3
# initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd1,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu **
title Fedora Core (2.6.11-1.1369_FC4)
root (hd1,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
initrd /initrd-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4.img
title Windows 2000
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1
** I have of course deleted this option, since as you have pointed out,
it gets put in irrespective of install options for this particular type
of two drive configuartion.

Now I get the grub menu at boot up, giving me the option of loading
Fedora or windows and both work fine.

Thanks for all the help.

Now just one last question?

How do I enable this configuration to allow me to access my Windows
data?

I have found that Knoppix automatically allows me not only to have
access to my windows data, it also allows me to access windows media
formats.

When I have tried to mount my windows partitions in the past, I have
got error "ntfs" is invalid format or some similar error.

Best Regrads,

SBeik
PS: I am posting this reply thru Linux;-)

It's good to hear that you have managed to get FC4 working properly.
:)
Your grub.conf file looks goods and everything appears OK.

Yeah , even the smallest errors can cause wide spread problems in Linux and
it leaves you scratching your head for days trying to figure out how to fix
it.

When installing Linux , it is always best to manually partition your
drives , especially if you have two or more drive on the system.

As with mounting your Win2000 partition to get access to it , there are a
number of ways to do it and it can be a bit fiddley when a NTFS partition
is involved.( I assume that you have NTFS on your Win2000 partition )

You can mount the partition manually after you boot up or you can
automatically mounted it on boot up.

Firstly it would be better to mount it manually and then if things work out
OK , then you can set it up to mount automatically on boot up.

I assume that you don't have much experience with linux to make it easy to
follow.

A - Manually mounting a partition
At a command line :
1) Create a directory in the /mnt folder , say something like
/mnt/win2000

2) Use the mount command to mount the win2000 partition in /mnt/win2000
directory :
mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/win2000
( or mount auto /dev/hda1 /mnt/win2000)

Then issue the mount command by itself to check that the partition is
mounted ,
ie ....
mount
it should come up with something like :
/dev/hda1 on /mnt/win2000 type ntfs (rw)

When you want to unmount the win2000 partition , use the command :
umount /mnt/win2000
( note umount is spelt correctly and it's not a typo )

Then issue the mount command again to see if the partition has been
unmounted.

B- Automatically mounting a partition

To automatically mount a partition on boot up , you will need to put a entry
into the /etc/fstab file to do the mounting.
As with the case of using the /mnt/win2000 directory use :

/dev/hda1 /mnt/win2000 auto exec,noauto,users,rw 0 0
( the last 2 entries is zero .. zero )

To mount the partition as a disk itself you will need create a directory
like /win2000 and then place this entry in the /etc/fstab file :

/dev/hda1 /win2000 ntfs defaults 0 0

Some times a ntfs partition can be a bit awkward , so you may have to play
around with some to the options to get it working properly , if all else
fails remove the ntfs entry and replace it with auto to get FC4 to detect
the file system.
If you have a fat32 file system with win2000 , then substitute ntfs with
vfat.

I hope it all works out and you can get your Win 2000 partition mounted
without too much problem.

:)

True Multitasking is having three computers and a chair with wheels.

Sandgroper
Remove KNICKERS to Email
steveray@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

.