Re: FC6 doesn't show in Grub

Dave Bazell wrote:

I have a dual boot system with two discs, one with windows and one with
linux. I had RH7.2 installed on the linux drive and it had about 17MB of
unpartitioned space. I installed FC6 in the 17 MB which shows up as
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 when I run whatever partitioning s/w is on disc 1
of the FC6 download.

However, I still have my old version of grub running when I boot, eventhough
FC6 prompted me about upgrading grub. Grub only lists windows and RH7.2. I
could edit the grub.conf file and add FC6, but I am not sure exactly where
it is and how to do that.

Any suggestions on why the upgraded grub didn't install and how to point to
FC6?

If I recall correctly, you'll find the new grub.conf located in the /boot/grub
directory of your new FC6 installation. The alternative would have been to
install it to your RH 7.2's installation, which might not be what you would
want. You could simply copy it from FC6 to RH7.2 to see what the new menu looks
like, but you will need to run grub in order to point to the new installation.
See "man grub".

HTH
Bob

  • Re: Fedora Core 5 Installation
    ... I think the first problem appeared when you chose not to let Grub handle the booting. ... do not forget to change "hd0" if your windows installation is not on the frist partition ... I have been using Red Hat Linux for a long while now, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Problem configuring GRUB
    ... I have two problems with GRUB when I try to configure it./ ... /dev/hdd1 = Linux development installation Gentoo ... With this I can at least boot my installation ... # For booting Windows NT or Windows95 ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Another Dual boot question
    ... Grub is boot loader. ... The Windows XP Installation proccess will overwrite the Grub Bootstrap ...
    (Fedora)
  • GRUB will not be overwritten
    ... I can't log in FC3 because MBR of GRUB was deleted via Windows ... new installation on partition with old windows, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Another Dual boot question
    ... still went to windows XP after rebooting dirctly. ... No Grub manu showed up. ... The Windows XP Installation proccess will ... After your Linux installation is found you will ...
    (Fedora)