Re: Installing Fedora Core 6 on Duo Core Mac

In article <nNOdnS5kQ9wplNPYnZ2dnUVZ_uWdnZ2d@xxxxxxx>,
"Joe Murphy" <nobody@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

That worked. It took a few tries to get the Mac to boot to the DVD, but I
did install Fedora.

My only problem now is that I don't know how to get it to boot into Linux.
It keeps booting into OS X. Any idea how to change the operating system on
boot?

Take a look at these virtualization products:

http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/

http://www.parallels.com/

If you are installing onto a Mac with Intel processors, there is a
minimal performance hit, and the convenience of instant switching
between Linux, OS X, and (if needed) Windows, is a major advantage.
Most of the geeks I know are recommending VMWare Fusion. It has been
tested on Red Hat and several other Linux flavors, and a lot of people
are successfully running them.

I have seen reports that it is possible to boot Linux using Apple's Boot
Camp, which allows direct booting into a non-Mac OS. But Boot Camp was
primarily designed to run Windows on Mac, so this approach is riskier,
and probably not supported by anyone.

http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/

http://www.helium.com/items/421906-while-apples-intention-releasing

There may be other schemes for configuring a Mac to direct boot into
Linux, but I am a Linux noob, and cannot advise on that.

--
Julian Vrieslander
.