Re: Installing Fedora Core 6 on Duo Core Mac

In article <nNOdnS5kQ9wplNPYnZ2dnUVZ_uWdnZ2d@xxxxxxx>,
"Joe Murphy" <nobody@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

That worked. It took a few tries to get the Mac to boot to the DVD, but I
did install Fedora.

My only problem now is that I don't know how to get it to boot into Linux.
It keeps booting into OS X. Any idea how to change the operating system on

Take a look at these virtualization products:

If you are installing onto a Mac with Intel processors, there is a
minimal performance hit, and the convenience of instant switching
between Linux, OS X, and (if needed) Windows, is a major advantage.
Most of the geeks I know are recommending VMWare Fusion. It has been
tested on Red Hat and several other Linux flavors, and a lot of people
are successfully running them.

I have seen reports that it is possible to boot Linux using Apple's Boot
Camp, which allows direct booting into a non-Mac OS. But Boot Camp was
primarily designed to run Windows on Mac, so this approach is riskier,
and probably not supported by anyone.

There may be other schemes for configuring a Mac to direct boot into
Linux, but I am a Linux noob, and cannot advise on that.

Julian Vrieslander

Relevant Pages

  • Re: RH 9.0 doesnt install: blank screen! (RH 8.0 & 7.2 do though)
    ... Tried 'linux text noprobe skipddc noapic apm=off noht'. ... I wanted to try on and so I chose 7 boot options: ... linux text noprobe skipddc lowres apm=off noapic nousb ...
  • Re: How to make it ALWAYS boot to XP Pro
    ... Bruce Chambers wrote: ... It has a dual boot ... My computer has Windows-XP and Mandriva Linux installed on two separate ... any safe way of doing it after booting to Windows-XP? ...
  • Re: installation problems
    ... RH 9 had trashed my Linux partition and rendered my PC unbootable. ... >you can create the floppy from and can be created on a differnet ... >on the CD as the floppy boot image. ... and since flash drives seem to be listed in /proc as scsi devices, ...
  • RE: Linux hacked
    ... Subject: Linux hacked ... After you boot up into the OS running from CD, ... >> First let me say I'm a security novice. ... >> been unsuccessful in getting root back. ...
  • Re: boot: linux text => "Could not find kernel image: linux"
    ... The fc17 install guide ... says, "To use boot options, enter linux option at the boot: ... I am booting the dvd, which has no username for me yet. ...