Re: Installing Fedora Core 6 on Duo Core Mac

In article <nNOdnS5kQ9wplNPYnZ2dnUVZ_uWdnZ2d@xxxxxxx>,
"Joe Murphy" <nobody@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

That worked. It took a few tries to get the Mac to boot to the DVD, but I
did install Fedora.

My only problem now is that I don't know how to get it to boot into Linux.
It keeps booting into OS X. Any idea how to change the operating system on
boot?

Take a look at these virtualization products:

http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/

http://www.parallels.com/

If you are installing onto a Mac with Intel processors, there is a
minimal performance hit, and the convenience of instant switching
between Linux, OS X, and (if needed) Windows, is a major advantage.
Most of the geeks I know are recommending VMWare Fusion. It has been
tested on Red Hat and several other Linux flavors, and a lot of people
are successfully running them.

I have seen reports that it is possible to boot Linux using Apple's Boot
Camp, which allows direct booting into a non-Mac OS. But Boot Camp was
primarily designed to run Windows on Mac, so this approach is riskier,
and probably not supported by anyone.

http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/

http://www.helium.com/items/421906-while-apples-intention-releasing

There may be other schemes for configuring a Mac to direct boot into
Linux, but I am a Linux noob, and cannot advise on that.

--
Julian Vrieslander

  • Re: RH 9.0 doesnt install: blank screen! (RH 8.0 & 7.2 do though)
    ... Tried 'linux text noprobe skipddc noapic apm=off noht'. ... I wanted to try on and so I chose 7 boot options: ... linux text noprobe skipddc lowres apm=off noapic nousb ...
    (linux.redhat.install)
  • Re: How to make it ALWAYS boot to XP Pro
    ... Bruce Chambers wrote: ... It has a dual boot ... My computer has Windows-XP and Mandriva Linux installed on two separate ... any safe way of doing it after booting to Windows-XP? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: installation problems
    ... RH 9 had trashed my Linux partition and rendered my PC unbootable. ... >you can create the floppy from and can be created on a differnet ... >on the CD as the floppy boot image. ... and since flash drives seem to be listed in /proc as scsi devices, ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • RE: Linux hacked
    ... Subject: Linux hacked ... After you boot up into the OS running from CD, ... >> First let me say I'm a security novice. ... >> been unsuccessful in getting root back. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: boot: linux text => "Could not find kernel image: linux"
    ... The fc17 install guide ... says, "To use boot options, enter linux option at the boot: ... I am booting the dvd, which has no username for me yet. ...
    (Fedora)