Re: CDRW/DVD how do i watch DVD's in Redhat 9

From: Lenard (lenard_at_127.0.0.1)
Date: 09/17/03

Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 03:29:21 GMT

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 16:58:12 -0700, Hristo Slavchev typed:

>> First thing, assuming you want to burn CD-R /CD-RW as root edit the
>> /boot/grub/grub.conf file and add a space followed by somethin like
>> hdd=ide-scsi to the line that begins with kernel /vmlinuz, example
>> below; kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.22 ro root=/dev/hda2 hdd=ide-scsi
>
> OK first of all, why should i touch the grub.conf if i don't even use
> grub? what is this for. I use a floppy to boot my linux system.

OK then edit the syslinux.cfg file on the floppy. Since you did not state
how you boot RHL9 I assumed that you where using the default boot loader
Grub, my mistake.

> Also, I am sure where my CD-RW and my CD-RW/DVD are. The first is a
> Secondary (meaning IDE2) master and the second is IDE2 Slave. They are
> already mounted as I showed up in my first message.

Yes I saw that, but I thought I give you a 'heads up' so you could use the
combo drive as a burner also.

http://www.xcdroast.org/xcdr098/faq-a14.html#2

>> As root also edit your /etc/modules.conf file and add the following
>> line;
>>
>> options ide-cd dma=1
>
> I did this although I have no idea what it does, so would you please
> explain what it really does?

>From the Red Hat Linux 8.0 RELEASE-NOTES;

 o DMA is disabled on CD-ROM drives in this release in a different but
       more reliable way than previously. If you are sure that your CD-ROM
       drive is capable of IDE DMA, place the following line in the
       /etc/modules.conf file:

       options ide-cd dma=1

This also applies to the IDE CD-RW/DVD or DVD or DVD-R/RW+R/RW drives
also. Enabling DMA for these drives makes then faster for playback like
watching a movie or file transfers.

>> (assuming your Sony CDRW/DVD CRX300E drive is /dev/scd0)
>>
>> $ ln -s /dev/scd0 /dev/dvd (or whatever your DVD device is)
>>
>> $ raw /dev/raw/raw1 /dev/scd0 (or whatever your DVD device is)
>>
>> $ ln -s /dev/raw/raw1 /dev/rdvd
>
> Well my Sony CDRW/DVD CRX300E drive is /dev/cdrom1.
>
> so i link it to /dev/dvd? what the hell is /dev/dvd? please explain what
> the raw does and then the second link? my dvd device is /dev/cdrom1 and
> it's mounted at /mnt/cdrom1 with the following options:
>
> /dev/cdrom1 /mnt/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
>
> I installed mplayer and it sure runs *.avi and *.mpg files but still no
> DVD support for my Redhat 9?! I sure could use some more help here.

It's time you did some reading and learning;

The Red Hat Linux Manuals;
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/

Mplayer Documentation;
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design6/info.html#docs

FYI: I gave you the help you requested and more.

--
SCO + RICO Act = Justice

Relevant Pages

  • Re: installation problems
    ... RH 9 had trashed my Linux partition and rendered my PC unbootable. ... >you can create the floppy from and can be created on a differnet ... >on the CD as the floppy boot image. ... and since flash drives seem to be listed in /proc as scsi devices, ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: RedHat Linux 7.2 needed.
    ... drives replaced with current stuff, ... Unfortunately, it has a few problems, including a fan ... If you mean floppy only, I don't remember the last distribution that was ... Red Hat Linux 9 uses a different boot diskette layout than ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Problem booting OS on IDE PCI adaptor card with Grub in MBR of hda
    ... I can see what it says about the card, as I'd used the supplied boot ... either have to put up with using the floppy for FC1, ... Well, with the BIOS showing all 3 hard drives, I wonder if the error ... message you are getting is actually from the Grub install on hde ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: How can I flash the Bios with out a flopy drive?
    ... so buy a floppy drive cheapskate. ... absolute minimum of code to boot from a floppy and, maybe, display ... That whole area of USB bootability is somewhat fraught, ... but there are several approaches as to how you make such drives ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)
  • Re: New boot error message
    ... for my windows installation to boot up. ... It looks like you have grub in the MBR of the boot disk, ... access drives marked as bootable so it was failing to find my 3TB drive. ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)