Re: CDRW/DVD how do i watch DVD's in Redhat 9

From: Lenard (lenard_at_127.0.0.1)
Date: 09/17/03

Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 03:29:21 GMT

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 16:58:12 -0700, Hristo Slavchev typed:

>> First thing, assuming you want to burn CD-R /CD-RW as root edit the
>> /boot/grub/grub.conf file and add a space followed by somethin like
>> hdd=ide-scsi to the line that begins with kernel /vmlinuz, example
>> below; kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.22 ro root=/dev/hda2 hdd=ide-scsi
>
> OK first of all, why should i touch the grub.conf if i don't even use
> grub? what is this for. I use a floppy to boot my linux system.

OK then edit the syslinux.cfg file on the floppy. Since you did not state
how you boot RHL9 I assumed that you where using the default boot loader
Grub, my mistake.

> Also, I am sure where my CD-RW and my CD-RW/DVD are. The first is a
> Secondary (meaning IDE2) master and the second is IDE2 Slave. They are
> already mounted as I showed up in my first message.

Yes I saw that, but I thought I give you a 'heads up' so you could use the
combo drive as a burner also.

http://www.xcdroast.org/xcdr098/faq-a14.html#2

>> As root also edit your /etc/modules.conf file and add the following
>> line;
>>
>> options ide-cd dma=1
>
> I did this although I have no idea what it does, so would you please
> explain what it really does?

>From the Red Hat Linux 8.0 RELEASE-NOTES;

 o DMA is disabled on CD-ROM drives in this release in a different but
       more reliable way than previously. If you are sure that your CD-ROM
       drive is capable of IDE DMA, place the following line in the
       /etc/modules.conf file:

       options ide-cd dma=1

This also applies to the IDE CD-RW/DVD or DVD or DVD-R/RW+R/RW drives
also. Enabling DMA for these drives makes then faster for playback like
watching a movie or file transfers.

>> (assuming your Sony CDRW/DVD CRX300E drive is /dev/scd0)
>>
>> $ ln -s /dev/scd0 /dev/dvd (or whatever your DVD device is)
>>
>> $ raw /dev/raw/raw1 /dev/scd0 (or whatever your DVD device is)
>>
>> $ ln -s /dev/raw/raw1 /dev/rdvd
>
> Well my Sony CDRW/DVD CRX300E drive is /dev/cdrom1.
>
> so i link it to /dev/dvd? what the hell is /dev/dvd? please explain what
> the raw does and then the second link? my dvd device is /dev/cdrom1 and
> it's mounted at /mnt/cdrom1 with the following options:
>
> /dev/cdrom1 /mnt/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
>
> I installed mplayer and it sure runs *.avi and *.mpg files but still no
> DVD support for my Redhat 9?! I sure could use some more help here.

It's time you did some reading and learning;

The Red Hat Linux Manuals;
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/

Mplayer Documentation;
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design6/info.html#docs

FYI: I gave you the help you requested and more.

--
SCO + RICO Act = Justice