How to find an appropriate tty port?

From: David (FlyLikeAnEagle_at_United.Com)
Date: 09/17/03

Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 03:31:13 GMT

  Hello,

  I'm coming back to linux (RH8) after many years away.
I've been working on a small project to put up a web
page (cgi) and control a device over the serial port.
I've found some code and adapted it to my needs.

  My problem now is figuring out which tty port to use.
The PC has one serial port on it. The /dev directory
has about 500 tty devices defined. I've been searching
for a description of these but haven't figured out what
I need yet. My device doesn't answer so I can't just
start sending ot random devices. I'm planning on
borrowing another PC this weekend so that I can watch the
serial port and try to find it. I could use some
suggestions on where to start.

  I presume that tty0 and its variations are the most likely
devices. Could you point me to a FAQ or give me a quick
description how to interpret what the extra letters behind
the tty?# mean?

  Thank you,

  David

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Console - Serial Port - tty
    ... Have removed both tty and sa from odm as you instructed ... But they came back after reboot. ... Console - Serial Port - tty ...
    (AIX-L)
  • is the tty serial layer working in 2.6.0-testx?
    ... I use a Pilot M505 which I have always synced using the serial port (I ... never got around to getting it connected via USB). ... I think the problem lies with the serial tty layer and not the ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: serial or tty driver
    ... As I understand tty is high level and communicates with user space. ... When you're talking to a serial port, you have a stack that looks roughly like: ... VFS layer ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: No Console
    ... data is written to the serial port without checking the seral port ... After getty starts the serial port device driver, ... I had to add the "clocal" option to the tty runmodes options. ...
    (comp.unix.aix)
  • Re: C programming question
    ... can be controlled through the serial port. ... I have 2 plugs that i ... complicated would be to write a program so I can control that micro ... I don't want an interactive program like minicom, ...
    (freebsd-questions)