Redhat 9 cdrom won't mount

From: Glen A Stromquist (glen_stromquist_at_no.spam.yahoo.com)
Date: 10/28/03

Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 22:18:22 GMT

I installed RH9 on a box that I just installed as ASUS P4PE motherboard
in. The install went without a hitch after failed attempts with SuSE 7.3
and Libranet, other than it not recognizing the on-board broadcom NIC.

However, when I went to add some more software packages and it prompted
me for cd1, it would not read the cd, and nothing I seem to do will let
me read a cd in the drive.

The fstab file has the following entry: /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660
        noauto, owner, kudzu,ro 0 0

mount -a returns me to a prompt immediatly, but I still cant see the cd
and it does not show up when issuing "mount". If I enter "mount
/dev/cdrom" I get a "mount: Not a directory" error. Same goes when I
enter mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom.

I also created another dir on /mnt called "cd" and tried mounting it on
that, with the same result.

/dev/cdrom is linked to /dev/hdc as well I noticed

I hate to post a simple question on an issue that should be easily
resolveable, but I'm at a loss here and been googling for the answer and
cant seem to get anywhere

TIA

ps. the cd install of 9 went perfectly, so I know the drive is ok.