Redhat 9 cdrom won't mount

From: Glen A Stromquist (glen_stromquist_at_no.spam.yahoo.com)
Date: 10/28/03

Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 22:18:22 GMT

I installed RH9 on a box that I just installed as ASUS P4PE motherboard
in. The install went without a hitch after failed attempts with SuSE 7.3
and Libranet, other than it not recognizing the on-board broadcom NIC.

However, when I went to add some more software packages and it prompted
me for cd1, it would not read the cd, and nothing I seem to do will let
me read a cd in the drive.

The fstab file has the following entry: /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660
        noauto, owner, kudzu,ro 0 0

mount -a returns me to a prompt immediatly, but I still cant see the cd
and it does not show up when issuing "mount". If I enter "mount
/dev/cdrom" I get a "mount: Not a directory" error. Same goes when I
enter mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom.

I also created another dir on /mnt called "cd" and tried mounting it on
that, with the same result.

/dev/cdrom is linked to /dev/hdc as well I noticed

I hate to post a simple question on an issue that should be easily
resolveable, but I'm at a loss here and been googling for the answer and
cant seem to get anywhere

TIA

ps. the cd install of 9 went perfectly, so I know the drive is ok.

Relevant Pages

  • unable to install from CD: failure to mount once kernel installed
    ... cleanest possible install. ... ran netinstall off floppies accepting all defaults: still unable to mount ... booted the Linux box from the hard disk into the testing Debian distro, ... allow me to turn off shadowing for either the video BIOS or the main BIOS. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: SUSE 10.1 Printer problem
    ... Loaded SUSE as a new dual-boot install on a machine that was successfully running RH Workstation. ... For whatever stupid whim I'd had a few years ago, the dual-boot DOS/RH system ended up with a 1MB DOS primary partition and a 100MB DOS Extended partion, plus whatever awful partition hash I made of the RH install. ... Attempts to mount the drive as root from ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: device packages?!?
    ... to create and mount the filesystem itself: ... (This will add a /cdrom stanza in /etc/filesystems, the AIX equivalent ... cdrfs is also the AIX equivalent of Solaris pcfs filesystem.) ... If necessary, install missing stuff with: ...
    (comp.unix.aix)
  • Re: Resizing Partitions, Losing Windows XP...
    ... install applications ... Could I do a dump of my current FreeBSD ... to mount the partitions read only. ... now to restore there are better ways to do it but this ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Dual boot problem
    ... I never did figure out for sure whether> the Mandrake install was confusing the Suse> boot loader, but I found an interesting thing> when booting into Mandrake: The boot would work> OK, and Mandrake was fine, but if I then browsed> to the Suse install partition, the ambiguous double> root mounts disoriented Mandrake. ... directory that is already the mount point for a device. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)