Re: file owned by nobody - free for all?

From: Lenard (lenard_at_127.0.0.1)
Date: 01/10/04

Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 18:55:02 GMT

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 18:15:16 +0000, tudor typed:

> Hi!
>
> So I have this question. A file that is owned by the user nobody should
> or not be readeble by all users?
>
> ls -l
> -rw------- 1 nobody nobody 6 Jan 10 18:28 cool
>
> I can only open this file with root!

No, the permissions(-rw-------) are 600 the file has is only read write
for the owner (nobody) and of course root. Change the permissions as root
to something like (-rw-rw-r--); $ chmod 664 cool

--
SCO + RICO Act = Justice
             Hi!  I'm a .sig virus!  Copy me to your .sig!

Relevant Pages

  • Re: postfix + mutt questions
    ... >> I want to use it with mutt so I have added the following line in ... > You should send all root mail to some other user such as yourself. ... why the emails for root go to user nobody. ... (Dennis Ritchie) ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: postfix + mutt questions
    ... > I have a .alias file in my home directory with entries having the ... > The emails to root go to user nobody. ... You should send all root mail to some other user such as yourself. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: root privileges through non-root process?
    ... > it was potentially possible to gain root privileges on a linux system ... This is generally very difficult if not impossible for an attacker to ... suid bit set and as user root. ... able to make your system execute arbitrary commands as user nobody. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: postfix + mutt questions
    ... >> I want to use it with mutt so I have added the following line in ... >> The emails to root go to user nobody. ... The problem was that I have not put the word alias in front of each line ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: file owned by nobody - free for all?
    ... A file that is owned by the user nobody should ... > or not be readeble by all users? ... Only if the file permissions allow it! ... User root can access all files and user nobody ...
    (linux.redhat.misc)