Re: Kernel Update

From: Boris Glawe (boris_at_boris-glawe.de)
Date: 01/26/04

Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 09:52:32 +0100

Barbara wrote:
> I recently installed RHL 9.0 OOTB. I did all of my available updates after
> registering with RHN. I did however, skip the kernel update. Should I
> update my kernel? Will it break anything? If all is well, should I ignore
> this update? Help!
>
> Babs

Yes just upgrade it.
RH won't upgrade your kernel but will install the new kernel in addition. If
something won't work, you're still able to boot the old kernel.

If the new kernel works (which I expect), uninstall the old kernel manually:

rpm -e kernel-2.4.20-9.9 (or whatever your old kernel version is).
rpm -e kernel-source-2.4.20-9.9

if you're not sure what your old kernel version was:
rpm -qa | grep -i kernel

rpm -qa lists all rpm packages, that are installed. The ouput is not printed on
the screen but is forwarded to grep, which filters out all entries, that contain
the string "kernel" ( -i means that grep ignores the case. It matches for
example both "Kernel" and "kernel").

greets Boris