Strange hangs on laptop

From: Jacob Heider (lord-jacob_at_comcast.net)
Date: 04/14/04

Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 07:23:17 GMT

I've been thinking about (and experiencing) this problem since FC1 came
out, but it finally occurred to me to post something, in case anyone had
any insight.

On my laptop, I occasionally get hangs when starting a browser under X.
I've had it happen with Mozilla, Firebird, and Galeon. The whole system
hangs, and won't accept keyboard input of any kind. No amount of waiting
will cause the problem to resolve itself. The screen stops changing. The
hard-drive access light may continue flashing (I could use more RAM),
but will not necessarily. Strangely, I've been too lazy to see if I
could ping into the box. The only thing it responds to is a hard-reset.
It only occurs within the first 7 seconds of having opened the browser.
It only occurs on the first instantiation of the browser since reboot.

The computer in question is a Sony VAIO PCG-F350 laptop. PII-366, 192MB
RAM, 6.5GB HDD, 384MB swap, single reiser v3.6 partition,
XFree86-4.3.0-55, kernel-2.4.22-1.2174.nptl, Netgear MA401RA (wlan-ng
driver).

It doesn't happen enough to stop me from using the browser (I prefer
'links' 90+% of the time anyway), but it is irritating, and hard-booting
a PII takes time. I think I pretty much decided I'd sit on it until FC2.
I didn't have any problems with RH9 on the same system, so my best guess
is that it's some of the backports from 2.6 onto the 2.4 kernel. Again,
I've just been to lazy to look into it. Just wondering if anyone else
has had this problem?

HAND
Jacob

Relevant Pages

  • Re: OT: MS Silverlight Clues
    ... One quick question is SilverLight chewing up memory space when the browser ... Start with an open browser, check available RAM. ... neutral page, as with the others, Java still consumes 11MB when idle. ...
    (comp.databases.pick)
  • Re: Does Windows XP log web sites Ive visited, logged in and post
    ... User has the right to know what his/her programs could do including what his/her browser could reveal because they've paid for them. ... understanding of all such temporary files, registry entries, traces ... system RAM, so a large amount of RAM helps. ... to "read-only" access to hard drives, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • RE: IE Error Message
    ... Under General Tab clear your History, Internet Files and Cookies. ... Then click on Advanced tab and scroll down to under the Browsing Option: ... Enable Third-Party browser extensions uncheck this box. ... You may have a bad RAM try to test your RAM by running Memtest by ...
  • RE: Dr.Watson error
    ... Click on General Tab under Browsing history click on Button. ... Then try to Disable the Add-Ons on your Browser somehow installed on your ... You may have a bad RAM try to test your RAM by running Memtest by ...
  • Re: Yum better than RPM?
    ... so the reason you like 64-bit is that the libs use ... cause i need the backwards stuff i waste ram for the 32 bit lib;). ... lets take a browser that uses the gtk library... ... that extra work. ...
    (Fedora)