Linux on Dell Precision 450 ?

From: J.Neuhoff (NOSPAM_at_webcom.com)
Date: 04/20/04

Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 21:12:44 +0100

I recently tried to install a Fedora Core 1 Linux on a Dell Precision 450
box (IntelĀ® E7505 chipset with 533MHz system bus, 512MB RAM) and, not
surprisingly, the installer doesn't come very far. As with all newer Dell
desktops, it doesn't like the graphics chip (an NVIDIA TM QuadroFX 500),
nor can it see with the SATA controller and/or harddrive. There are no IDE
drives, only a SATA 120GB hard drive.

Now I am planning to swap some components to make the Dell box
Linux-compatible. Questions:

1) What graphics cards (has to support a 1280*1024 TFT Dell monitor) does
Fedora Core 1 recognize?

2) What SATA controller does Fedora Core 1 support, if any?

J.Neuhoff