Re: RH 9.0, Putting Samba on Linux with RPM?

From: Lenard (lenard_at_127.0.0.1)
Date: 11/21/04

    Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 21:41:50 GMT

    On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 16:27:40 +0000, W. Watson wrote:

    > Thanks for the info. It sounds like you are saying that going to Fedora
    > shouldn'be be harmful. Probably not, but I'll check with the people who
    > wrote the application. Supposedly this ia a set it and forget it
    > application, so updating Linux shouldn't be much of an issue.

    I do suggest that if possible that you do in fact update to Fedora Core 2.
    If the people who wrote the application agree, then follow their advice.
    If not then, ask them to assist you in upgrading the RHL9 packages, you
    might want to direct them to this newsgroup thread. The replies I have
    posted are instructions to update RHL9 to the latest available upgrades to
    the packages already installed on your RHL9 system. I have provided
    (hopefully), in this reply, a more detailed set of instructions below that
    should update your RHL9 system with all the upgrades available for RHL9.

    > I just did a google on Synaptic thinking that may actually be a
    > dictionary word. It's a a mgmt. package, and I'm guessing the apt came
    > from the middle of it, which is a dictionary word. An interesting
    > marketing angle.

    The two packages apt and synaptic are related, synaptic is the GUI
    interface to apt;

    DESCRIPTION
           apt-get is the command-line tool for handling packages, and may
           be considered the user's "back-end" to other tools using the APT
           library. Several "front-end" interfaces exist, such as
           dselect(8), aptitude, synaptic, gnome-apt and wajig.

    You might want to visit; http://freshrpms.net/apt/

    > I could manually update it daily as you suggest, but the Linux computer
    > is in another building and it not always on my mind to keep the clock up
    > to date. The application runs 7/24 and needs better time management than
    > I'm currently giving it. Although less demanding for the application,
    > moving its data files across the net would be helpful. Thankfully I only
    > have to do that about once a month. If there's an alternative network
    > facility that would allow me to keep time on the network, I'd be
    > interested. I can forgo the samba route for some sneaker net activity
    > once a month. BTW, the app is an all sky camera that captures meteor
    > images.

    Which is why you make use of ntpd or at the very least use a cron job once
    a day to adjust the time using ntpdate.

    Sample job (place in /etc/cron.daily) filename net-time;

    #!/bin/bash
    # Adjust the system time
    /usr/sbin/ntpdate -u 128.10.252.7
    exit 0

    Then set the permissions;
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 81 Nov 21 15:37 net-time

    Adjust the command (change the IP address) to use a time server of your
    choice. For example lets say you have another system someplace that serves
    time to other Windows systems and this server's IP address is 192.168.0.1,
    then the ntpdate line would read;

    /usr/bin/ntpdate -u 192.168.0.1

    > It may be that the samba installation on RH 9 is defective. That might
    > explain the man page and other weirdness. I found the follow page
    > yesterday that suggests there may be some deficiency. See
    > <http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/software/linux/rh/90install/6.html>
    > and comments about SWAT. Odd too that my wife's machine seems to be OK
    > Samba wise. At least it appears to be complete, although she uses it
    > without a network. However, mine is the Shrike version, which is the
    > costly version with phone support (expired). Also, she's applied every
    > fix she could get her hands on.

    OK, first find out which samba packages you have installed;

    rpm -qa '*samba*'

    Sample output (yours will be different);

    samba-client-3.0.9-1
    samba-3.0.9-1
    samba-swat-3.0.9-1
    system-config-samba-1.2.21-1
    samba-common-3.0.9-1

    You should see redhat-config-samba instead of system-config-smaba. And if
    I remember correctly with RHL9 the samba-swat RPM is not installed by
    default.

    You still can bring your RHL9 system current (all the updates for RHL9) by
    following these instructions as root from the console or xterm session,
    assuming you have a working Internet connection;

    This command will download and install the apt RPM package;

    rpm -ivh
    http://download.fedora.us/fedora/redhat/9/i386/RPMS.stable/apt-0.5.5cnc6-0.fdr.8.rh90.i386.rpm

    The above line is one long line with a space after the '-ivh' portion and
    before the rest of the command. By downloading and installing this package
    the apt-get /etc/apt/sources.list file is already configured to use the
    fedora.us RHL9 site to get the updated packages.

    This command will updated the apt package index files list ( to the latest
    RHL9 updates);

    apt-get update

    This command will update your install RPM packages to the latest ones
    available for RHL9;

    apt-get upgrade

    If you still need to install samba-swat after installing the other RHL9
    updates;

    apt-get install samba-swat

    If you want to install/use the synaptic (a graphical interface to apt-get)
    package;

    apt-get install synaptic

    • Re: apt-get problems.
      ... >apt-get, lovely tool. ... unrelated to the program you are trying to install or upgrade, ... packages which depend on the package you have asked to remove. ... printer related kde app and much of kde itself just by hovering the ...
      (Debian-User)
    • sarge dist-upgrade "Package is in a very bad inconsistent state"
      ... You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these: ... Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages. ... postgresql postgresql-client ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: RH 9.0, Putting Samba on Linux with RPM?
      ... > posted are instructions to update RHL9 to the latest available upgrades to ... > the packages already installed on your RHL9 system. ... > I remember correctly with RHL9 the samba-swat RPM is not installed by ... > This command will update your install RPM packages to the latest ones ...
      (linux.redhat.misc)
    • Re: Upgrade all "kept back" packages
      ... apt-get dist-upgrade instead of apt-get upgrade. ... The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required: ... python-enchant python-iniparse python-levenshtein ... # apt-get install vlc-nox ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: Updates SOLVED!
      ... Putting Synaptic to one side, and after having done the apt-get update, ... problems with the vlc package, ... Then an apt-get install vlc may have printed out some usefull info. ... We've already confirmed that if you originally got vlc from freshrpms, the maintainer should be shown as Matthias Saou, so the packages above should also show him as the maintainer. ...
      (Fedora)