Re: slattach serial ports?

From: Murray R. Van Luyn (vanluynm_at_iinet.net.au)
Date: 01/11/05

Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 16:55:04 +0800

Hi Moe,

Nope, looks as though I will have to compile SLIP into the kernel. I believe
PPP is still there. "slattach -d -s 9600 -p ppp /dev/ttyS1 &" does the same
thing.

I'll have a go with minicom, and take a real look at /var/log/messages in a
moment when I boot Linux.

I'm just playing around with Dave Dunkels' uIP 0.9 TCP/IP stack, trying to
port it to an 8052 with Keil C. I got everything except the cgi scripting
working with Windows, but seem to need Linux's Ethereal to fix the last bit.

Regards,
Murray R. Van Luyn.

"Moe Trin" <ibuprofin@painkiller.example.tld> wrote in message
> In article <41df9fad$0$29408$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au>,
> Murray R. Van Luyn wrote:
>
> >I'm trying to set-up a slip link via a serial port on FC2.
>
> Is the slip protocol compiled into the kernel? (Look at the boot log
> in /var/log/messages). Reason I ask - very few people are using slip
> any more.
>
> >[root@localhost root]# slattach -d -s 9600 -p slip /dev/cua1 &
>
> /dev/cuaX has been deprecated since the 2.2.0 kernel YEARS ago. You
> want to be using the /dev/ttySx devices.
>
> >Permissions don't seem to be the problem, and I seem to be able
> >to MAKEDEV the devices.
>
> Can you talk to the serial port using minicom or pppd?
>
> >Any ideas? I'm stumped.
>
> Just curious - why are you trying to use slip - the protocol is pretty
> much dead - I don't know anyone still using it.
>
> Old guy

Relevant Pages

  • Re: slattach serial ports?
    ... looks as though I will have to compile SLIP into the kernel. ... > Murray R. Van Luyn wrote: ... > Can you talk to the serial port using minicom or pppd? ...
    (linux.redhat.install)
  • Re: 2.6.31-rc5 regression: Oops when USB Serial disconnected while in use
    ... Possibly the failed bisect could be related to ... mis-classified kernel panic/hang while pulling the USB cable ... console (here the one built into Marvell SheevaPlug) while ... During the bisection for the last few bad iterations minicom ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: 2.6.9-rc2-mm4
    ... up) and set up the server's kernel to do serial logging: ... with the new kernel command line - and configure minicom to run with ... once the NMI watchdog is up and running it should catch all hard lockups ... while the lockup happens. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: 2.6.31-rc5 regression: Oops when USB Serial disconnected while in use
    ... mis-classified kernel panic/hang while pulling the USB cable ... The oops always happens when I disconnect the USB serial ... console (here the one built into Marvell SheevaPlug) while ... During the bisection for the last few bad iterations minicom ...
    (Linux-Kernel)