Re: named: can't ping local windows computers on fedora

From: Nobody Here (nobby_at_invalid.invalid)
Date: 11/24/05

Date: 24 Nov 2005 07:40:33 GMT

Gang <gzhang_ocx@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am running named and dhcpd on a fedora core 4 computer, and I am able to
> ping the fedora computer by name from all windows client. So my named and
> dhcpd is working properly.
>
> I can also ping windows computers (XPs) from fedora by IP.
>
> Here is the problem:
> I can't ping windows computers from fedora box by name.
> I can ping mysefl (fedora box) by either FDNAME or FDNAME.localdomain
> nslookup on FDNAME returns nothing, nslookup on FDNAME.localdomain returns
> it's ip address.
>
> Any ideas how should I fix this problem?

You probably need to set a search domain in /etc/resolv.conf on the
linux machine. It should look like:

search whatever.domain1.com
nameserver 192.168.2.241

With whatever... replaced by the local domain suffix and the IP address
of the nameserver replaced by your own nameserver's ip address.

--
Nobby