Re: named: can't ping local windows computers on fedora

From: Gang (gzhang_ocx_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 11/27/05

    Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 23:38:36 -0500

    Yep I should. Sorry. I did most of the homework before posting so I am
    mostly expecting simple directive answers, like "google on
    ddns-update-style hmac-md5" etc. If I found an answer I will post it in
    that manner as well (I got about 80% of it in my previous post).

    Now just need to figure out how to ping ${machinename} instead of have to
    ping ${machinename}.localdomain .... Hopefully that doesn't involve in
    making smb a domain controler (at least the dsl router/dns server dones't
    need one)

    Thanks
    Gang

    "Kill Bill" <xbill@msn.com> wrote in message
    > Wow, you don't have to x-post this simple questions to so many groups!
    >
    >> I am running named and dhcpd on a fedora core 4 computer, and I am able
    >> to ping the fedora computer by name from all windows client. So my named
    >> and dhcpd is working properly.
    >>
    >> I can also ping windows computers (XPs) from fedora by IP.
    >>
    >> Here is the problem:
    >> I can't ping windows computers from fedora box by name.
    >> I can ping mysefl (fedora box) by either FDNAME or FDNAME.localdomain
    >> nslookup on FDNAME returns nothing, nslookup on FDNAME.localdomain
    >> returns it's ip address.
    >>
    >> Any ideas how should I fix this problem?
    >
    > Firstly it could be becuase of the windoze filewall. By default the one
    > with SP2 blocks the ping query.
    >
    > It could be something else if you disable the windoze filewall or enable
    > echo response. But you should provide more information for us to diagnose,
    > for example your dhcp configuration, named settings, you ping attempts,
    > the error messages, and so on.
    >
    > HTH,
    >
    > KB
    > --
    > NT stands for New Technology. Windowds NT(NT4.x)/2K(NT5.0)/XP(NT5.1)
    > was built on NT Technology. Anyone understands what "new" means, so
    > everyone knows M$ Windows NT/2K/XP/Whatever is a *real* innovation.

    • Re: Networking problem
      ... I still am unable to ping that machine and it is unable to ping me. ... I can ping the router and another machine I have on the LAN. ... On Fedora Machine: ... The Powerbook entries confuse me. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Networking problem
      ... I still am unable to ping that machine and it is unable to ping me. ... I can ping the router and another machine I have on the LAN. ... Both Fedora and the Powerbook can ping the default gateway, ... The Powerbook entries confuse me. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Fedora 4 Routing table question
      ... Fedora 4 Routing table question ... maybe it isn't my routing table. ... boxes can ping the Linux box and the Linux box can ping the windows ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Mounting cifs
      ... XP1 can ping win7 and can ping router, but cannot ping fedora. ... Does traceroute tell you anything about the network routing? ... and the other machines directly with the wired network. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: named: cant ping local windows computers on fedora
      ... > I can also ping windows computers from fedora by IP. ...
      (linux.redhat.misc)