Re: Linux file copy slowness ??

decrepit <""mikelayzell\"@netscape .net"> writes:
>parvinderb@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>

>> It takes about 32 minutes to finish copying. When we do the same
>> operation on a windows 2003 server it takes almost HALF the time.
>>
>> I am wondering if this behaviour is normal or something wrong with
>> system?kernel? etc.
>>

>I'm not an expert so don't know if this is relevant, but I'll throw it
>in just in case.
>
>A while ago I was playing with multibooting XP and core 2 each on their
>own hardrive, I was selecting OS with bios, somehow I managed to turn
>the CPU cache off. This crippled XP slowed it down by a factor of about
>1,000, took 30minutes just to boot!!, but core 2 seemed to be unafected.
>Obviously XP makes a great use of cpu cache and fedora doesn't, would
>this affect file juggling speeds???

"Obviously?" Hardly. Fedora core 2 (or any linux for that matter)
will use the processor cache just as much as Windows. The lack of
the cache will slow both down quite significantly. If your installation
of FC2 ran fast, then the cache was enabled.

It's possible that Windows obeyed the BIOS setting, and linux didn't, but
that's a different issue.

scott

  • Re: Very high IOWait during all disk activity
    ... My original testing of Windows ... the Windows and Linux copy operations. ... Turning off the write cache on Windows resulted in a massive decrease ... It did, however, still highlight quite a difference in CPU usage. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Erase cache, clean registry in Linux
    ... You're approaching Linux with a Windows mentality. ... Lots of people want to defrag their drives in Linux. ... Firefox and other apps may have their own caches; you'd clean them out ... in your /var/ partition (or elsewhere if you've moved the dpkg cache), ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: New Laptop on the Way
    ... it has 2 Mb cache. ... A second partition of about 15 Gb will hold Linux ... to share files between Windows and Linux. ... I would allow double booting. ...
    (comp.os.linux.portable)
  • Re: Ive dumped Linux and moved to Windows XP.
    ... but not at the core. ... Linux was multiuser over ten years ago, ... I think your Windows experience is confusing you. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Mumps free version
    ... Is there any good free version of MUMPS with CACHE? ... It does not matter if it runs on Windows or Linux. ...
    (comp.lang.mumps)