Re: XP windows install may have trouble overwriting rhel5

"Frank Winans" <fwinans@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
"Sandgroper" wrote

"Frank Winans" wrote
you may need to do a dd to zero out the rhel5 before XP can install on
it.

All you really needed to do is to repartition the HDD during installation
of
XP , which is what would be the normal thing to do when you go to change
and
install another OS on a HDD.

Yes, that was my original desire, to nuke all disk contents from inside XP
install.
I couldn't do so because XP install croaked pretty much first thing.
And, I was
ignorant that XP could be so 'allergic' to the linux. Other posters
indicate this is
a well-known problem, so maybe I should have googled a bit before making
the
screws fly so fast...

You misunderstood me , I mean , BOOT UP the machine using the XP DVD and
then start the installation process and re--partition the HDD during the
install process.
You can't just install XP over the top rhel5 while it's running.

True Multitasking is having three computers and a chair with wheels.

Sandgroper
------------------------------------
Remove KNICKERS to Email
steveray@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  • Re: New build - halt on ACPI Controller
    ... on the hdd from a previous install attempt. ... landed up using the rear panel mains isolator switch to switch it off as ... The use of partition analysis and repair tools unearthed a further two ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)
  • Re: Xp install problem
    ... Anna wrote: ... I am attempting to install xp after fitting a new HDD following a "failure" of the old one. ... When I reach the point during the install where the "install devices" starts, I get the stop code 0x000000BE. ... If so, it would be worthwhile to remove the graphics card, ensure your onboard graphics capability is enabled and see if the install will succeed. ...
  • Re: Xp install problem
    ... I am attempting to install xp after fitting a new HDD following a "failure" of the old one. ... When I reach the point during the install where the "install devices" starts, I get the stop code 0x000000BE. ... If so, it would be worthwhile to remove the graphics card, ensure your onboard graphics capability is enabled and see if the install will succeed. ... You're certain all your connections & configuration of components including the new HDD are proper and your motherboard is properly seated? ...
  • Re: Xp install problem
    ... I am attempting to install xp after fitting a new HDD following a ... When I reach the point during the install where the "install ... graphics/video card. ... You're certain all your connections & configuration of components ...
  • Re: Installing new hard drives
    ... Hard disk cloning software, "x copy", I ... a "fresh" install and not be able to access the old drive to copy files (I ... old 40 GB HDD to the new one. ... offer to assist me install the new drives still stands I might be taking ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)