Re: Changing /var size, or location

From: Robert M. Riches Jr (spamtrap42_at_verizon.net)
Date: 10/15/03

Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 18:44:57 GMT

In article <pan.2003.10.15.11.37.25.92663@hotmail.com>, Take a Walk wrote:
> My /var size is too small, its only 250Mb
>
> I've fitted an additional drive which works fine, so I propose to locate
> /var on there.
> Before i ferk it up, can someone check the following for flaws:
>
> cp all data on /var to directory on new drive (do I need any flags to keep
> permissions the same?)
> Amend fstab to point /var to new directory location
>
> RH8 system, have already got rid of labels in fstab .

If you're using 'cp', add the '-a' option to keep
permissions, timestamps, and such unchanged.

If you do it right and are reasonbly lucky, the operation
_should_ be successful. I'd recommend making backups before
starting, just in case.

Other ways to do the transfer would be 'tar' or 'rsync'.
With 'tar', you can verify the tarball against the original
and then verify destination against the tarball. With
'rsync', you can do an incremental update just before making
the switch to avoid losing log entries and such. I'd
recommend rebooting to make the change effective.

You might consider using Knoppix to do the copying and to
make the changes to /etc/fstab. That way, you're not trying
to change a running system, so it can't get the rug pulled
out from under it.

Good luck.

Robert Riches
spamtrap42@verizon.net

  • Re: [opensuse] dd to mirror before upgrade?
    ... machine to a locally attached hdd, ... I've been using rsync for eyars for disk-to-disk copy WITHOUT ssh ... the tar or cpio to preserve that, ... This isn't rocket science; its not even computing science, ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [9fans] 9base-3
    ... I haven't used the tarball in years because I simply find hg more ... I know many people who install from the tar file, though, ... Ignoring unknown extended header keyword `SCHILY.dev' ...
    (comp.os.plan9)
  • Re: Question about Backing up with tar
    ... I suggest rsync instead of tar. ... Rsync has a highly efficient algorithm that copies only changed data, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: [TIN] Reading groups from active file
    ... Any idea how I can see what's in them, using cygwin? ... extract stuff from the tarball simply by 'copying' it. ... tar tool installed you ... and then the type of compression used is also usually ...
    (news.software.readers)
  • Re: How to encrypt and burn to dvdr my home dir?
    ... What is the most "Fedora way" to do this? ... I would tar with compression the whole kazoo: ... These days the resulting tarball is likely to exceed DVD capacity. ...
    (Fedora)