Re: RedHat CEO says home users shouldn't use Linux

From: Ivan Marsh (annoyed_at_you.now)
Date: 11/07/03

Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 11:40:05 -0600

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 12:02:03 +0000, Meat-->Plow wrote:

> On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 15:05:21 +1000, Gregory Toomey
> <nospam@bigpond.com>,wrote:
>
>>It was a dark and stormy night, and Keith Clark managed to scribble:
>>
>>> http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104_2-5101690.html
>>>
>>> He says home users should stick to Windows because home users can't
>>> figure out how to hook up a USB camera.
>>>
>>> That does it. I'm going to SuSE. RedHat can rot.
>>
>>They seem to forget that the nerds use Linux at home, college, AS WELL
>>AS in the enterprise. Reh Hat is forcing users to buy support with their
>>latest offering, & breaking the GPL. So the nerds that made Red Hat what
>>it is are now leaving in droves (forget fedora).
>>
>>Suse is now part of Novell, which is the kiss of death.
>
> I used to admin Novell 3,4,and 5. Their software service packs were
> nightmares. Cost me much time and money undoing the abends caused by the
> service packs.
>
> This is a sad day for SuSE

The service packs for Novell Netware (after 2.15) have never been more
difficult than running an installer and maybe adjusting a few things
CLEARLY listed in a readme file.

I had a Netware 3.12 server that wasn't re-booted for three years while
under heavy use. The only reason it finally got re-booted was because of a
failed power supply in a SCSI array; can't do much about that with the OS.

Novell knows Unix and is betting the future of their company on Linux.
They obviously support open source and the GPL. If they do a good job of
it, which I'm guessing they will, Suse won't be hurt by them buying it.

--
i.m.