Re: RedHat CEO says home users shouldn't use Linux

From: Ivan Marsh (annoyed_at_you.now)
Date: 11/07/03

Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 11:40:05 -0600

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 12:02:03 +0000, Meat-->Plow wrote:

> On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 15:05:21 +1000, Gregory Toomey
> <nospam@bigpond.com>,wrote:
>
>>It was a dark and stormy night, and Keith Clark managed to scribble:
>>
>>> http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104_2-5101690.html
>>>
>>> He says home users should stick to Windows because home users can't
>>> figure out how to hook up a USB camera.
>>>
>>> That does it. I'm going to SuSE. RedHat can rot.
>>
>>They seem to forget that the nerds use Linux at home, college, AS WELL
>>AS in the enterprise. Reh Hat is forcing users to buy support with their
>>latest offering, & breaking the GPL. So the nerds that made Red Hat what
>>it is are now leaving in droves (forget fedora).
>>
>>Suse is now part of Novell, which is the kiss of death.
>
> I used to admin Novell 3,4,and 5. Their software service packs were
> nightmares. Cost me much time and money undoing the abends caused by the
> service packs.
>
> This is a sad day for SuSE

The service packs for Novell Netware (after 2.15) have never been more
difficult than running an installer and maybe adjusting a few things
CLEARLY listed in a readme file.

I had a Netware 3.12 server that wasn't re-booted for three years while
under heavy use. The only reason it finally got re-booted was because of a
failed power supply in a SCSI array; can't do much about that with the OS.

Novell knows Unix and is betting the future of their company on Linux.
They obviously support open source and the GPL. If they do a good job of
it, which I'm guessing they will, Suse won't be hurt by them buying it.

--
i.m.

  • Re: [SLE] SUSE Training at Novell BrainShare 2004
    ... I am NOT a SuSE newsletter subscriber - and I do NOT want to hear about ... This person should be banned from the list, and if he works for Novell ... ... > asked how you can get training on Novell/SUSE Linux solutions. ... > What is BrainShare? ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Why are printers such a hassle?
    ... > and I looked them all up in the SuSE hardware database and NONE of them ... Yeah, linux loves quality hardware, the more expensive it is, ... > separate ink cartridges so I can return the printer with the original ... support serious. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Is linux free
    ... >Go to the websites of Redhat, Mandriva or mandrake, Suse, Mepis, etc. ... I don't use SUSE either, but ISO's for the open source version are here: ... For work, I use Red Hat Enterprise, and we pay for the yearly support ... >> just talking about the Linux content itself. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Where did Suse go?
    ... The big Linux companies seem to have concluded that the money lies in ... Hence Novell Linux Desktop 9, ... SuSE 9.2 caters to both markets but crucially it caters ... and b) that a home user won't be interested in expensive ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Future of Red Hat: Fedora or Enterprise?
    ... where support is to be expected. ... >> This 'core linux demographic' you are talking about is just what ... I'd frankly like to install an OS and never upgrade it again, ... >> SuSe is the better choice for the corporate ..'. ...
    (linux.redhat)