Re: Upgrading RH9 to Fedora?

From: Jean Pierre Wenzel (jpwenzel_at_gmx.net)
Date: 11/08/03

Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2003 19:55:07 +0100

Hello Paul,

Am Sat, 08 Nov 2003 17:28:43 +0000 schrieb Paul Hutchings:

> I've not read much from anyone who's done this - has anyone? any
> problems or anything worth knowing?

Tried to update my RH9 to Fedora Core 1. I used apt4rpm before and had
installed some recent RPMs via apt (e.g. Gnome 2.4 or newer versions of
Ximian Evolution).

When I tried installing Fedora, I was warned that it would be installed
with AMD Athlon optimization whereas I use(d) a i386 system -- Fedora
didn't continue installing, no matter whether I chose "Abort" oder
"Continue" at that point.

What I did was backing up my $home and wiping the old Redhat partitions to
have a clean Fedora Core install that seems to work perfectly now with
Gnome 2.4 right out of the box...

But I also will not update my mail/file server that runs Redhat 9 at the
moment... not now :-)

Regards

Jean Pierre

Relevant Pages

  • Re: fedora-list Digest, Vol 55, Issue 69
    ... Management Server ... To All EEEpc and Fedora Users, ... I re-burnt CD 2 to see if it was a glitch but the new disk also came up ... to the boot line while installing. ...
    (Fedora)
  • I think I know what is clobbering my Gnome
    ... I have Gnome 2.26.3 on Fedora 11, fresh install three days ago, and up to date ... day when I am still installing the apps I need and setting things up the way I ... As soon as I send this I'm going to uninstall Virtualbox OSE and reboot. ...
    (GNOME)
  • Re: Why no R in Fedora (was Statistical Package (like Minitab) for Linux)
    ... > The fedora rpm provided at the CRAN site contains very few add-on ... > packages would provide a large amount of functionality. ... > Users can easily install.packageson top of this more stuff from CRAN. ... > I always seem to end up installing a few packages eg. lineno, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Secrecy and user trust
    ... I want to install Fedora 9. ... If trust can be established from zero then it can happen ... trust the media you are installing from? ... and signed packages arrange to have the packages multiply signed so ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Crashing tips?
    ... First thing I did before installing Fedora was read the #fedora faq on ... > after installing FC1 on this computer, it ran very well, except that I ... > I wanted to blame it on yum, thinking it didn't happen until I set up ... > My primary goal in diagnosing this problem is not just to fix this one ...
    (Fedora)