Re: Maximum Processors and Memory for RedHat 7.3

From: J.O. Aho (user_at_example.net)
Date: 11/13/03

Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 17:43:09 +0100

Ross wrote:
> Hi there,
> I am going to purchase an Intel machine with 4 processors and 6 GB memory to
> install Red Hat Linux 7.3.
> Could someone please tell me if the RH 7.3 supports the hardware?

You would need a bigmem-spm version of the kernel.
I'm not sure if the smp version of the kernel has the bigmem option set.

I do suggest you start with installing the smp kernel first (before you even
change the hardware, in case you aren't to do a fresh install), then recompile
the kernel with bigmem support in case it don't have that from default.
In case the default kernel don't support bigmem, then you still have access to
900MB Ram, the system will work, so it's no problem to recompile the kernel.

It's the same with all the other RedHat/Fedora versions, or any other linux
distro that you can freely download, the default kernels are seldom set to
support big memories and therefore requiers a recompile.

  //Aho