Re: Maximum Processors and Memory for RedHat 7.3

From: J.O. Aho (user_at_example.net)
Date: 11/13/03

Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 17:43:09 +0100

Ross wrote:
> Hi there,
> I am going to purchase an Intel machine with 4 processors and 6 GB memory to
> install Red Hat Linux 7.3.
> Could someone please tell me if the RH 7.3 supports the hardware?

You would need a bigmem-spm version of the kernel.
I'm not sure if the smp version of the kernel has the bigmem option set.

I do suggest you start with installing the smp kernel first (before you even
change the hardware, in case you aren't to do a fresh install), then recompile
the kernel with bigmem support in case it don't have that from default.
In case the default kernel don't support bigmem, then you still have access to
900MB Ram, the system will work, so it's no problem to recompile the kernel.

It's the same with all the other RedHat/Fedora versions, or any other linux
distro that you can freely download, the default kernels are seldom set to
support big memories and therefore requiers a recompile.

  //Aho

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Cargo Cult sysadmining
    ... will not support the hardware. ... all other software installed on that disk are suddenly useless. ... I may recompile the kernel these days; ... Let the post install script build the new initrd. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Kernel change
    ... Then I want to install a new ... Is my best approach to install the SMP kernel ... on the old hardware, then change hardware ... hardware and attempt to boot. ...
    (comp.os.os2.misc)
  • Re: Kernel change
    ... I want to install eCS 2.0 on my present older Pentium4 hardware, which uses APM. ... Is my best approach to install the SMP kernel on the old hardware, then change hardware keeping the kernel? ... It would be interesting to see if the UNI kernel will boot on the Core i5-750 processor...I doubt it but others here claim it will, although they don't seem to have much experience with newer hardware. ...
    (comp.os.os2.misc)
  • Re: Kernel change
    ... Is my best approach to install the SMP kernel on the old hardware, then change hardware keeping the kernel? ... It would be interesting to see if the UNI kernel will boot on the Core i5-750 processor...I doubt it but others here claim it will, although they don't seem to have much experience with newer hardware. ...
    (comp.os.os2.misc)
  • Re: drivers in linux
    ... install a network card for example how could I check to see if it was ... Every different kind of hardware is 'driven' by ... a different chunk of the kernel. ...
    (Debian-User)