Re: Changing desktop resolution in redhat 9

From: David Harbour (ladydark_at_eskimo.com)
Date: 11/26/03

Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 15:55:48 -0800

What you need to do to fix this is go to /etc/X11 and edit the xf86config
file. scan down to the resolution entries for you card and delete the
"1600x????" and replace it with the resolution you want.

Or like someone else mentioned you can run xf86config with the correct
settings and overwrite the old file.

If you do it this way I would recommend that you go to the above mentioned
directory and rename the xf86config file to xf86config.old so you can
compare them and see the difference in the resolution entries.

Also I found in my install experience that I need to delete a file called
xf86config-4. For some reason X would try to load this instead of the one I
made with xf86config script. Of course I renamed it first to make sure and
then deleted it after I got mine working correctly.

Hope this helps.

"José Ricardo García Olivo" <ricardogarcia@ava.com.mx> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have a problem, I cannot go to gui interface in redhat 9. When I
> intoduce init 5 in the shell prompt, the other terminal activates but no
> video is sent to the monitor. During installation I chose a resolution
> of 1600 x 1200 pixels, which works just fine with windows, but it may be
> possible it doesn´t work with linux.
>
> I believe the problem is that I need to change to a lower resolution, I
> know there is a command, redhat-config-xfree86, but it doesn´t seem to
> work either, it happens the same problem.
>
> If anyone know something like editing a file with vim or something like
> that I would appreciate a lot if she or he shares this information with
me.

> Ricardo Garcia

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Nvidia-driver hassles
    ... > the screen turns black and the system hangs completely, no response to ... Your XF86Config looks rather ok except that 1280x960 is a rather strange ... resolution. ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
  • Re: Please help: Ive lost /etc/XF86Config
    ... after more tweaking to XF86Config was able to go init 5. ... recreating XF86Config and answered him that. ... Next I tried to no avail to change resolution to 1024x768 (this ... There must be another different problem with VMware Tools and removing ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: start the X11 server with a specific resolution
    ... > have to change XF86Config everytime I want a different resolution. ... you can switch resolutions with "xvidtune -next". ...
    (comp.os.linux.x)
  • Re: start the X11 server with a specific resolution
    ... > have to change XF86Config everytime I want a different resolution. ... you can switch resolutions with "xvidtune -next". ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: Changing desktop resolution in redhat 9
    ... scan down to the resolution entries for you card and delete the ... > compare them and see the difference in the resolution entries. ... > Also I found in my install experience that I need to delete a file called ... > made with xf86config script. ...
    (linux.redhat)