Re: Chmod multiple files and folders

From: Robert M. Riches Jr (spamtrap42_at_verizon.net)
Date: 12/02/03

Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 18:48:26 GMT

In article <V45zb.15891$lm1.127316@wards.force9.net>, [ darkside ] wrote:

> I am running Red Hat 9 and accessing the box via a Samba share from my Win2K
> machine. I have messed up the file permissions on a whole dir structure
> under /var/www/html/ and I need to change it to allow me to have full rights
> from my Windows box....
>
> I can chmod files to 777 and that works fine. I can also do individual
> folders. However, I have not managed to do a whole group of files and
> folders in one hit. All I can find on google is single file permission
> instructions.
>
> Is there an easy way to do this on my Red Hat box either via command line or
> an app (Nautillus?)

There is a -R alias --recursive option you can give to chmod
that will do an entire branch of the file tree. Is that
what you're looking for?

To help you get quicker answers to any similar questions in
the future, most Linux commands take a -h or --help option
that will display the command-line options. The man and/or
info pages are also usually quite informative.

Good luck.

Robert Riches
spamtrap42@verizon.net