stupid newbie question about SAMBA

From: Steven Van Dalem (stevenDITwegDOEN_at_vandalem.be)
Date: 12/22/03

Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 15:48:36 GMT

I installed RHL9 on my second pc, because I 'd like to learn linux. I have
a small 2 pc network, the other one is running xppro.

I set up SAMBA and I have been a good boy: I read the documentation. Setting
it up was easy enough, and from my RH machine I can reach the XP shares and
print with the printer connected to the xp machine.

The problem: I also shared some dirs on my RH machine but I can't reach
those from XP. When I try, I get an error stating I can't access the share
because the machine name is duplicate, and I should rename my windows pc.

Well, tried that, but to no avail.

Both pcs are in the same workgroup, I use identical login names and
passwords on both. So I must be missing something obvious, but I can't seem
to figger out just what.

Any ideas, anyone?

Steven

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Is my system secure? What else should I do?
    ... > network functionality for my computing activities (browsing, ... My network shows No presence to the outside world, ... browsing and open for secure browsing. ... Linux is no longer protecting the other computers/devices on your local ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: LONWorks vs. Ethernet
    ... >Linux PC, which also sends signals back to open and close the relays. ... >and how much the chips, transceivers, and external components cost ... >it's far too sensitive to wiring imperfections, and the network ... The AVR is a far superior device to the Neuron chip as far performance ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: OT: Computer stuff
    ... running five home computers and admin nine more at the local library). ... I know for a fact that there is an anti-virus program available for Linux. ... It says it does not support power management under SMP as the kernel loads. ... I have taught Network+, and A+. ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)
  • Re: Anyone Networking there ?
    ... Could anyone out there help me getting my network to run. ... I am new to Linux and NOT a troll!!! ... it runs in a dual boot with an old Windows and my Windows ... Now add your users to Samba. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: setting computer name
    ... If your network interfaces use DHCP, you can configure the DHCP server ... > however it did not have 'multi on', which I saw as being needed according to the Linux how-to help guides. ... > on how to install gcc 2.95.3 on Linux. ...
    (Fedora)