Re: 3Com Etherlink III (3C509B) won't work

From: Geoff (geoff_r_at_canada.com)
Date: 01/08/04

Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 17:03:27 -0500

"Carl" <moc.erawtfosdigir@treblig_tnomal> wrote in message
news:3FFD958A.10307@treblig_tnomal...
> >>whats in /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0
> >

> > Contents of /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0 :
> > DEVICE=eth0
> > ONBOOT=yes
> > BOOTPROTO=none
> > USERCTL=no
> > PEERDNS=no
> > TYPE=Ethernet
> > IPADDR=172.16.37.20
> > NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> > GATEWAY=172.16.37.254
> > NETWORK=172.16.37.0
> > BROADCAST==172.16.37.255
> >

> that should be
>
> BOOTPROTO=dhcp
> perhaps you did not tell your card to grab an address using dhcp as it
> appears here. or is this the ifcfg you used for manual configuration.

I have set the IP manually (DHCP didn't work.. I expect for the same reason
I don't seem to get any packets back in..)

> if you configged it right and this is just the wrong ifcfg, then try
> giviing your card a hostname such as
> DHCP_HOSTNAME=myhostname
>
> then you can perhaps see in your router log if this computer actually
> grabs a dhcp address or not.

If I do change it to DHCP the router doesn't log anything, however I boot
(as if doing a new install) using the network install disk, then everything
works and the router does log a DHCP IP given out. (so it is certainly a SW
issue during a normal boot)

> what does 'ifconfig' say again? you are certain the drivers are
> installed and loaded right?

Output of ifconfig -a eth0 has the following :
Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr: 00:50:DA:01:CE:36
inet addr:172.16.37.20 Bcast:172.16.37.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
TX packets:16 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
Rx bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:822 (822.0 b)
Interrupt: 5 Basse address:0x220

I don't know if the drivers are correct... I haven't done anything about
them.. I just followed the found new HW dialogs (which found the correct
card)