Re: 3Com Etherlink III (3C509B) won't work

From: Geoff (geoff_r_at_canada.com)
Date: 01/08/04

Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 17:03:27 -0500

"Carl" <moc.erawtfosdigir@treblig_tnomal> wrote in message
news:3FFD958A.10307@treblig_tnomal...
> >>whats in /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0
> >

> > Contents of /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0 :
> > DEVICE=eth0
> > ONBOOT=yes
> > BOOTPROTO=none
> > USERCTL=no
> > PEERDNS=no
> > TYPE=Ethernet
> > IPADDR=172.16.37.20
> > NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> > GATEWAY=172.16.37.254
> > NETWORK=172.16.37.0
> > BROADCAST==172.16.37.255
> >

> that should be
>
> BOOTPROTO=dhcp
> perhaps you did not tell your card to grab an address using dhcp as it
> appears here. or is this the ifcfg you used for manual configuration.

I have set the IP manually (DHCP didn't work.. I expect for the same reason
I don't seem to get any packets back in..)

> if you configged it right and this is just the wrong ifcfg, then try
> giviing your card a hostname such as
> DHCP_HOSTNAME=myhostname
>
> then you can perhaps see in your router log if this computer actually
> grabs a dhcp address or not.

If I do change it to DHCP the router doesn't log anything, however I boot
(as if doing a new install) using the network install disk, then everything
works and the router does log a DHCP IP given out. (so it is certainly a SW
issue during a normal boot)

> what does 'ifconfig' say again? you are certain the drivers are
> installed and loaded right?

Output of ifconfig -a eth0 has the following :
Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr: 00:50:DA:01:CE:36
inet addr:172.16.37.20 Bcast:172.16.37.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
TX packets:16 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
Rx bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:822 (822.0 b)
Interrupt: 5 Basse address:0x220

I don't know if the drivers are correct... I haven't done anything about
them.. I just followed the found new HW dialogs (which found the correct
card)

> CL

Relevant Pages

  • RE: My Server Died
    ... That got my active directory back but the DHCP was still ... I wanted to use VPN and needed to add another NIC card. ... 3COM said to install older versions of the card first, ... > suitable domain controller and when I tell it this server is the last domain ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server)
  • Re: XP ERROR CODE 10 SOUND CARD
    ... DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 002127CA8865. ... have all the drivers installed. ...
  • Re: Wireless card ifup: operation failed
    ... I'm trying to get my RT2500 based wifi card working but it the 'ifup ... iface ra0 inet dhcp ... coming from the 'pump' DHCP client. ... and look for reports of wireless access points. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: 3Com Etherlink III (3C509B) wont work
    ... perhaps you did not tell your card to grab an address using dhcp as it ... or is this the ifcfg you used for manual configuration. ... grabs a dhcp address or not. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: 3Com Etherlink III (3C509B) wont work
    ... perhaps you did not tell your card to grab an address using dhcp as it ... or is this the ifcfg you used for manual configuration. ... grabs a dhcp address or not. ...
    (linux.redhat)