Re: Windoz XP as a telnet server

From: Bryan Martin (spam_at_ahwayside.com)
Date: 01/21/04

Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 03:08:27 GMT

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 18:05:24 -0500, Steve Schreiber wrote:

> wb wrote:
>> Am I expecting too much from a Windows Box ? ;) .
> <snip>
>

> Yes.
>

> $450 CDN doesn't get you much these days. Out of the box, Windows does
> nothing except infect other machines around it and prompt you for your
> 'Activation Key'.

Right out of the box XP can become a telnet server as you wish. Not
trying to start another mines better than yours but it is a shame when
ignorant people post things such as the above crap. I am curious though
what causes people to post such FUD? I work and live inside a mix
environment and can say with certainty that both have there places.

Your statement "Out of the box, Windows does nothing except infect other
machines around it" is complete b.s. Funny that I have 2 XP boxes and 4
win2k boxes running right now that no one touches but me and guess
what.... None of these have been infected to this day with any virus. I do
get my updates regularly and understand what files can contain viruses
before opening them in a email from someone whom I have never corresponded
with. Prior to filtering, I did however on a regular bases have to clean
viruses off our network because someone thought snowwhite and the seven
dumbasses had something to do with work.

Activation... a fresh install of RH9 yeilds a registration screen every
time you open a web page. RH wants registration prior to allowing the
hugh amount of updates needed to keep it secure.

Oh and lets not even discuss ease of use and load times. Do me a favor and
go under your favorite linux GUI. Now time how long it takes you to open
mozilla or evolution for that matter. Notice I said open, not actually do
some work. Now time the same process on XP (internet explorer/outlook
express) or just for shits and giggles windows 98. You know what, windows
is faster. Again, to show im not bashing I also understand that I can
set the internal firewall just how I want it or reprogram any part of the
kernel exactly how I need it to function on my linux boxes. Thats the
beauty of linux, the users power is just unreal. However you know how
many times I have had to reprogram the kernel in any of the linux boxes I
run.... Take a wild guess.... NONE. Never had a need to. I do however
open a web browser 50+ times a day, check email/newsgroups numerous times
a day and could not be as productive if I only had a linux box to do those
tasks on.

I love linux. It rocks as a firewall, mail server and many other tasks.
I feel all warm and cozy just like you everytime I start my linux boxes
and think how much money I saved instead of giving it all to ole billy
boy. However, I dont run around talking trash or spreading FUD because I
havent taken the time research or because someone else said the same or
because you think its cool.

Just my 2 cents.

Bryan

Relevant Pages

  • Re: virus on linux?
    ... any machine I have running Linux or BSD. ... Not as much as I do in Windows, ... I don't run anything as root except apt-get, and I have multiple user accounts ... that it also looks for Windows Viruses that may not be able to infect you at ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Problem regarding Internet Explorer
    ... Norton antivirus, Spyware doctor, and SUPERantispyware. ... nuke Vista and install a secure operating system like Ubuntu that doesn't have virus problems like Windows does. ... I guess it won't take too much to figure out that you know very little about Linux. ... It only takes the cooperation of the user to infect any linux distro you stupid ignorant POS lying linux troll. ...
  • Re: How secure are you
    ... Windows is running and doing whatever it takes to make ... users on Linux is to compromise on this advantage that they now ... So for a virus to propagate from one file to the next is ... > If Windows didn't have this feature, then a virus wouldn't be able to infect ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: windows/Linux sharing
    ... machines, now how to access data in the Linux machines from windows ... It's generally the easiest and most common way to set up linux ... Windows boxes to transfer files. ... boxes to the Linux boxes, install PuTTY into the Windows units. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: remote access to desktops
    ... Unfortunately rdesktop respects the Windows client limit of one user at a time which means that it's fine if you want to use it to remotely configure a Windows system but it's not useful if you want someone else to view what you are doing. ... VNC works for both Linux and Windows and it has no client limit so both you and your clients can both view the same desktop. ... I ssh into my Linux boxes and run Xemacs over the tunnel and then invoke other programs from an Emacs shell, I don't have any reason to run a remote desktop. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)