Re: RH9 vs. FEDORA

From: James (turajbNOSPAM_at_hoflink.com)
Date: 02/01/04

Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2004 06:32:14 GMT

"Al Rozanski" <coolski561947@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:3OOdnawdF-Dc8YHd4p2dnA@comcast.com...
> Hello All,.
> Reading this thread, my concern is the current RH9 I am running. Does this
> mean that there will not be another release above 9.0 under RH.
> If not, can I upgrade 9.0 to Fedora, or must this be installed seperatly?
> Thanks

There will be no new RedHat named releases for "free" after RedHat 9. All
successive RedHat named versions will all be of a "pay" type. To continue
to offer a free version of Redhat to the public, Fedora Core was created.
Fedora will create/offer all "free" Redhat versions when support ends for
RH9 in April under the Fedora name.

If you wish to continue to use a free version of RedHat , you will upgrade
to Fedora Core 1. [this will basically RedHat 10 for those of you whom are
keeping track of version RH numbers].
If you wish to use a version of RedHat with the RedHat name, you will need
to pay for an Enterprise version of RedHat.

Below I pasted the email which was sent to registered RedHat users in
November.

As to your other question, yes it is possible to upgrade to RedHat 9 now &
then upgrade again to Fedora after RedHat stops support for RedHat 9 in
April.

--
James
turajbNOSPAM@hoflink.com
(Remove NOSPAM When Emailing)
Dear (enter your registered RH username here),
Thank you for being a Red Hat Network customer.
This e-mail provides you with important information about the upcoming
discontinuation of Red Hat Linux, and resources to assist you with your
migration to another Red Hat solution.
As previously communicated, Red Hat will discontinue maintenance and
errata support for Red Hat Linux 7.1, 7.2, 7.3 and 8.0 as of December
31, 2003. Red Hat will discontinue maintenance and errata support for
Red Hat Linux 9 as of April 30, 2004. Red Hat does not plan to release
another product in the Red Hat Linux line.
With the recent announcement of Red Hat Enterprise Linux v.3, you'll
find migrating to Enterprise Linux appealing.  We understand
that transitioning to another Red Hat solution requires careful planning
and implementation.  We have created a migration plan for Red Hat Network
customers to help make the transition as simple and seamless as
possible. Details:
****************
If you purchase Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS or ES Basic before February
28, 2004, you will receive 50% off the price for two years.[*] (That's two
years for the price of one.)
Find out more about your migration options with product comparisons,
whitepapers and documentation at the Red Hat Linux Migration Resource
Center:
  http://www.redhat.com/solutions/migration/rhl/rhn
Or read the FAQ written especially for Red Hat Network customers:
  https://rhn.redhat.com/help/rhlmigrationfaq/
Sincerely,
Red Hat, Inc.
[*] Limit 10 units. Higher volume purchase inquiries should contact a
    regional Red Hat sales representative. Contact numbers available at
    http://www.redhat.com/solutions/migration/rhl/rhn
--the Red Hat Network Team