Re: Kinda new at Linux ^^

From: Lenard (lenard_at_127.0.0.1)
Date: 02/04/04

Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 16:04:48 GMT

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 06:04:34 -0800, Krhis typed:

> Yep, it's a drive from my other computer. It has all of my .avi's and
> mp3's. I have already looked around trying to find out how to mount it but
> can't find anything.

>From the console or xterm session type something like;

fdisk -l /dev/hdb

This will tell you the partition(s) and the filesystem type(s).

As root from the console or xterm session try something like;

mkdir /mnt/win_drive
mount -t vfat /dev/hdb1 /mnt/win_drive
ls -al /mnt/win_drive
umount /mnt/win_drive

If you have more than one partition then make additional mountpoints as
desired. And if your filesystem(s) on hard drive are ntfs (Windows
NT or 2000 or XP) visit;

http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/

As Dan M has already stated read the man pages; 'man mount' 'man fstab'

Relevant Pages

  • [SLE] Problems mounting Windows drive/partition
    ... I finally convinced my fiance to dump Windows ME for Linux (mostly because ... When the computer boots up and tries to mount the drive; ... I'd seen was to rewrite the fstab line for the drive like so: ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Eeek?! smbmount is deprecated?!
    ... that if I smbmount a network share from a Windows box the mount point ... the normal user was able to write (and presumably ... owned the mount point, although I can't prove it at this point). ... So I started reading the man page for smbmount to see if I could find ...
    (Debian-User)
  • RE: MS Services for UNIX 3.5
    ... I know that there's no corrupt package because I can mount an exported ... Server included to allow access to linux clients. ... properly mapping linux and windows user accounts. ...
    (RedHat)