Problem compiling NVIDIA driver (humor?)

From: Ivan Marsh (annoyed_at_you.now)
Date: 02/23/04

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 13:30:41 -0600

Here's one for the chronicles of stupidity...

About two weeks ago I upgraded my kernel. After I install a new kernel on
my server I always have to re-install/re-compile the NVIDIA driver for my
Prophet II MX card.

This time however I ran into trouble and the driver wouldn't compile. I
checked the kernel install, made sure all the libs were correct, but the
installer still wouldn't compile a new driver.

So, being a "smart" guy I downloaded the newest driver from NVIDIA
thinking perhaps the version I had was incompatible with the new kernel.

This didn't help and it continued to fail for several days and I was
running out of places to look for trouble-shooting.

Completely lost, not knowing what to look at next, I decided I would swap
out the card and see if I could get X running with another video card.

That's when I remembered I had taken the NVIDIA card out of the machine
two weeks earlier.

That's got to put me pretty high on the list for the bonehead move of the
week contest.

--
i.m.

  • nvidia driver issues
    ... As the nouveau driver for nvidia cards ... I found the card name and PCI ID listed at ... Select and install proper kmod (Fedora Kernel Module) which matches ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: more install problems
    ... If you're in doubt, install the ... You would then need to reboot to run the new kernel. ... I think your card ought to show up ... is one that is tested for by the stock 8139too driver. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Newbie - Installing drivers, compiling drivers, and compiling source.
    ... MSI Wireless card, PC54G2 ... I have installed the Nvidia driver. ... install the motherboard chipset drivers but will get to that (don't know how ... to compile, or recompile the kernel). ...
    (Fedora)
  • NVIDIA driver on Suse 9.1
    ... I've got a NVIDIA FX 5600 and I'm trying to install the driver from the ... the kernel module is build 100%. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Swapping MBs on XP--reinstall ?
    ... I want to swap an upgraded Asus board/Intel processor for the existing board/Intel processor--from a 775 to a 1336-along with a new video card. ... At least a few people have bought motherboards, assuming they could install Win98. ... In terms of drivers, one thing that would be popular is an AHCI driver for the ... by downloading the appropriate package for preparing an F6 floppy disk, ...
    (alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus)