Re: LDAP as standard authentication

From: Christopher Browne (cbbrowne_at_acm.org)
Date: 06/05/04

    Date: 5 Jun 2004 04:52:31 GMT

    The world rejoiced as "Sarah Tanembaum" <sarah.tanembaum@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > Is there any linux distribution that use ldap as the default name service
    > directory server and perhaps other?

    Not likely. Setting up authentication against an LDAP server requires
    some extra, somewhat fiddly, configuration, and it usually makes sense
    for systems to use /etc/passwd by default, with resort to NIS/LDAP
    being something a system administrator sets up _afterwards_.

    --
    output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "ntlug.org")
    http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/

    • Re: LDAP as standard authentication
      ... > Is there any linux distribution that use ldap as the default name service ... > directory server and perhaps other? ... Setting up authentication against an LDAP server requires ... being something a system administrator sets up _afterwards_. ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • Re: LDAP as standard authentication
      ... > Is there any linux distribution that use ldap as the default name service ... > directory server and perhaps other? ... Setting up authentication against an LDAP server requires ... being something a system administrator sets up _afterwards_. ...
      (comp.os.linux.setup)
    • Re: LDAP as standard authentication
      ... >> Is there any linux distribution that use ldap as the default name ... >> directory server and perhaps other? ... > authenticate off an LDAP server was extremely easy. ... I've never used Debian distribution before but I'm willing to try ...
      (linux.redhat)