Re: Linux swaps for no reason? Slows down

From: steve (steveRemoveThisNow_at_iForumz.com)
Date: 06/10/04

Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 23:30:29 GMT

Ok, sorry. To consolidate what I am running:

Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 3 (Taroon Update 1)
Kernel: 2.4.21-9.0.1.ELsmp

"steve" <steveRemoveThisNow@iForumz.com> wrote in message
> running: Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 3 (Taroon Update 1)
>
> Actually, I had a 400M mysql key_cache which I disabled. Now after one
hour
> of fresh boot, my swap is at 60 Meg or so (and growing), which is good.
But
> still with one gig of space, there should be no swapping at all.
>
> Here are the new stats:
>
> total used free shared buffers cached
> Mem: 1012340 994288 18052 0 31452 823220
> -/+ buffers/cache: 139616 872724
> Swap: 2040212 60916 1979296
>

> "Nils O. Selåsdal" <NOS@Utel.no> wrote in message
> > On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 18:21:13 +0000, steve wrote:
> >
> > > Please help me. This is totally frustrating!!
> > Which Red Hat version and kernel do you run ?

Relevant Pages

  • RE: MySQL Performance Woody Vs Sarge
    ... The 2.4 Kernel on Sarge for the packaged MySQL was much faster, ... # hdparm /dev/md0 ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Unusual swap usage...Is this bug #89226?
    ... I'm running RH 7.3 with the latest kernel update. ... machine is a MySQL server that gets most of its activity overnight during ... tuning the MySQL memory usage, but that doesn't affect the swap usage. ... references updating -rmap to correct this problem, but the bug is not ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: [OT] Server for Debian + MySQL
    ... On a 32bit machine, you can use a PAE enabled kernel to allow the operating system to address all the memory, but you're still stuck with a 4GB per-process limit, which means if this will be a dedicated MySQL server, you're wasting 12GB of memory. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: mdconfig unable to allocate memory
    ... >>So, in short, is there any rule of thumb to follow when tweaking these ... Since that was just resuling in kernel panics pretty much ... This machine is for MySQL, and there's a wild un-backed-up claim on ... I think I'm just missing the point of having a swap backed memory ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: Partitionierung =?ISO-8859-1?Q?gro=DFer?= Tabellen
    ... sodass der Kernel nicht mal mehr Logfiles schreibt. ... halt Essig fürs debuggen... ...
    (de.comp.datenbanken.mysql)