USB Hard Drive Backup

From: Paul Nash (webscool_at_ihug.co.nz)
Date: 10/27/04

Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 20:53:51 +1300

I am trying to backup to an external 40 Gb hard drive over USB. I am getting
invalid directories being written and Linux crashes. I understand this is
because Redhat 9 supports a maximum 512Mb file size on USB. Is there any way
I can change this or am I best to use memory chips ?

Regards, Paul Nash

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Low end desktop for EE tasks?
    ... backup doesn't have to backup 4GBytes of junkware every time. ... no way I can bill a customer for all that on a new "pre-installed" ... How reliable are those USB sticks? ... I buy the hard disk drives and USB adapter boxes ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: Server semi-shutdown
    ... I'm also using a USB 2.x PCI card. ... But backup seems to complete in a reasonable time, ... > also to keep the USB drive permanently connected to the server. ... >> to look at the server's event logs. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: USB External Hard Drive
    ... Maybe you could consider an external HD enclosure that already has the drive installed. ... As far a portability, I don't think you'll want to put this in your purse on the way to ... in to their computer like any other USB device. ... I don't want to backup my programs. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: Low end desktop for EE tasks?
    ... backup doesn't have to backup 4GBytes of junkware every time. ... no way I can bill a customer for all that on a new "pre-installed" ... How reliable are those USB sticks? ... I buy the hard disk drives and USB adapter boxes ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: Correct way to use dump to backup a Samba share
    ... gmirror) that I need to backup. ... only ONE USB drive connected at a time. ... # Perfrom the dump, assuming that the filesystem is live. ...
    (freebsd-questions)