Re: How do we keep the disks in sync?

From: Jacob (Jacob_at_FAKEDOMAIN.NOTHERE)
Date: 11/11/04

Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 07:04:07 GMT

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 18:12:18 -0600, a posting issued forth from Tommy Reynolds...
> On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 00:05:02 +0000, Vic wrote:
>
>> What I'm looking to do now is to minimise the chance of stale cached
>> data if this should happen again - i.e. how do we keep the filesystems
>> on disk *relatively* up to date compared to what's in the disk cache?
>
> Use a journalling file system such as EXT3. Turn on both metadata
> and file content journalling. Then you should be at most 5 seconds
> out of date. A cronjob to "sync; sync; sync" every second if you are
> really paranoid.
>
> Cheers!

Except of course that cron only runs every minute. Try adding:

sync:12345:respawn:/bin/sync

to /etc/inittab. Oh, and enjoy having your machine (most likely) grind
to a halt. On second thought, maybe it should only be in runlevel 5, so
you can get in to fix it.

GL

--
Jacob
mailto:`echo wnpbo@urvqre.ubzryvahk.arg | tr [a-z] [n-za-m]`

Relevant Pages

  • Re: unchecked 31 times
    ... >> journalling file system was that you can speed up the boot process by ... > He didn't say he was running ext3. ... ext3 is slower than the other options because it has a more ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: who is r/w-ing my hdd?
    ... > I am searching the source of some every 2/3 seconds ... > happening harddisk read/write operation. ... If you are using a journalling file system like ext3, ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: How do we keep the disks in sync?
    ... Use a journalling file system such as EXT3. ... Turn on both metadata ... A cronjob to "sync; sync; sync" every second if you are ...
    (linux.redhat)