Re: How do we keep the disks in sync?

From: Jacob (Jacob_at_FAKEDOMAIN.NOTHERE)
Date: 11/11/04

Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 07:04:07 GMT

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 18:12:18 -0600, a posting issued forth from Tommy Reynolds...
> On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 00:05:02 +0000, Vic wrote:
>> What I'm looking to do now is to minimise the chance of stale cached
>> data if this should happen again - i.e. how do we keep the filesystems
>> on disk *relatively* up to date compared to what's in the disk cache?
> Use a journalling file system such as EXT3. Turn on both metadata
> and file content journalling. Then you should be at most 5 seconds
> out of date. A cronjob to "sync; sync; sync" every second if you are
> really paranoid.
> Cheers!

Except of course that cron only runs every minute. Try adding:

to /etc/inittab. Oh, and enjoy having your machine (most likely) grind
to a halt. On second thought, maybe it should only be in runlevel 5, so
you can get in to fix it.

mailto:`echo wnpbo@urvqre.ubzryvahk.arg | tr [a-z] [n-za-m]`