Re: two nic cards on linux

From: George Monappallil (georgemj_at_sympatico.ca)
Date: 02/14/05

Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 22:05:19 -0500

We are installing x-tunnel software and according to the developer it
requires that we have two nics with ips on the same segment. In Solaris, it
is easy to do this by having the MAC-address? parameter to true. It seems
oddly difficult on linux.

-George

"Moe Trin" <ibuprofin@painkiller.example.tld> wrote in message
> In article <mF9Pd.5860$504.859718@news20.bellglobal.com>, George
Monappallil
> wrote:
> >here's the output of the ifconfig. Both nics are supposed to be on
separate
> >cables
>
> They may be, but
>
> >eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0E:0C:08:3F:67
> > inet addr:206.24.18.114 Bcast:206.24.18.127
Mask:255.255.255.224

> >eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0E:0C:08:3F:66
> > inet addr:206.24.18.116 Bcast:206.24.18.127
Mask:255.255.255.224

> They're on the same network - without using 'bonding' (see the
> Adv-Routing-HOWTO for details), the kernel is going to ignore the first
one
> configured - it's useless on classic Ethernet or Token Ring as only one
> computer can "talk" on the network at a time. The only other place
> where this configuration might be OK is in a 'bridging' configuration.
> See the HOWTOs.
>
> 297491 Sep 4 2003 Adv-Routing-HOWTO
> 29687 May 21 2002 Bridge
> 21151 Apr 26 2001 Bridge+Firewall
> 20465 Nov 9 2000 Bridge+Firewall+DSL
>
> So, which situation applies? In other words, what are you trying to do?
>
> Old guy

Relevant Pages

  • Make kernel error nr. 1
    ... I get an error when i make the kernel. ... # GENERIC -- Generic kernel configuration file for FreeBSD/i386 ... # To support HyperThreading, HTT is needed in addition to SMP and APIC_IO ... # PCI Ethernet NICs that use the common MII bus controller code. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Internet Woes
    ... Do you have two NICS? ... In my hands the Network Configuration Wizard in Mandrake 9.2 Control ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Vista client lost connection to secure wireless network ?
    ... We'll contact Dell to check if they can provide us with some other driver or we will see if we can order Intel NICs and put them in the laptops. ... wireless networks the PC has connected to, with your local wireless at the top. ... The laptop would connect flawlessly to my guest network, but not to the secure network that's configured according to Owen's documentation. ... By "deleting out that Wireless network config for that specific configuation and set it up again" do you mean flattening out the AP configs, the IAS configuration, etc. and redo all that configuration work? ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Dual-homed SBS *Standard* server wont accept SMTP connections
    ... A default configuration should allow any client on the lan to send to ... stop and start the default SMTP Virtual Server. ... so that we forced both to be listening. ... >>> way to get SMTP to listen on two different NICs on two different IP ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Both NICs have blank property sheets
    ... Short of installing loopbacks to hold some kind of ip configuration to keep ... > the tech who shuffled the nics in the first instance - thought he would ... > Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: ... > Connection-specific DNS Suffix. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)