Re: RealPlayer 10 and mp3 ... no volume

From: Spamless (Spamless_at_Nil.nil)
Date: 04/25/05

Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 17:51:58 GMT

On 2005-04-25, Spamless <Spamless@Nil.nil> wrote:

What I suggested only updates the libs.
The actual drivers are in the kernel RPMs.
(since I install from source, and use the source
 at the alsa site, I never have bothered about the
 kernel providing the modules)

> You probably don't want to rip out the alsa RPMs, compile and
> install from source and keep the system updated with a mixture
> of source and RPM updates.
>

> On the other hand, at
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/SRPMS/
> one can find:
> alsa-lib-1.0.8-4.devel.src.rpm
> alsa-utils-1.0.8-4.src.rpm
>
> If you have set things up with all development packages (to compile things
> from source) you can install those, they will be in the /usr/src/redhat
> directory tree. In the /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/ directory you will
> find the *spec files.
>
> An
>
> rpmbuild -bb (whatever).spec
>
> should produce, in the /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/ directory the
> binary RPM for installation.

Rats. Checking my FC2 dvd (since I have it installed from source,
to find where the modules come from, I have to check the rpm packages
themselves to find the files) I see that it is the *kernel* RPM which
has the
  /lib/modules/[version]/kernel/sound/[varies]
modules.

So, if you do what I suggested, above, you would have an updated
lib and other parts, *but only* 1.0.6 for the actual driver
(and it is primarily the driver you want to update).

So, one would also have to use the development branch's kernel
update (assuming the kernel modules in that match the alsa lib
RPMs I suggested above) along with the lib packages in order to
get alsa updated (via RPM) to version 1.0.8.

Relevant Pages

  • SUSE Security Announcement: Linux Kernel (SuSE-SA:2004:001)
    ... installable through rpm, because of a bug in RPM (update of ... the kernel source is not ... sources that the binary kernel rpm packages are made from. ... are being offered to install from the maintenance web. ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • [Full-Disclosure] SUSE Security Announcement: Linux Kernel (SuSE-SA:2004:001)
    ... installable through rpm, because of a bug in RPM (update of ... the kernel source is not ... sources that the binary kernel rpm packages are made from. ... are being offered to install from the maintenance web. ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • RE: EL4 ES kernel recompile
    ... We need to build the source rpm to get the sources. ... Install kernel-.src.rpm (given the default RPM configuration, ... the kernel tree will be located ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: Is Linux always this slow?
    ... but since I use command-line rpm all the time this does not bother me ... Installing a new kernel is really easy. ... modules_install; make install', ... you are lucky, you get a nice kernel RPM you can install just like any ...
    (linux.redhat)
  • SUSE Security Announcement: kernel (SuSE-SA:2004:010)
    ... The update packages for the SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 7 ... contain any binary kernel in bootable form. ... sources that the binary kernel rpm packages are made from. ... are being offered to install from the maintenance web. ...
    (Bugtraq)