Re: RealPlayer 10 and mp3 ... no volume

From: Spamless (Spamless_at_Nil.nil)
Date: 04/25/05

Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 17:51:58 GMT

On 2005-04-25, Spamless <Spamless@Nil.nil> wrote:

What I suggested only updates the libs.
The actual drivers are in the kernel RPMs.
(since I install from source, and use the source
 at the alsa site, I never have bothered about the
 kernel providing the modules)

> You probably don't want to rip out the alsa RPMs, compile and
> install from source and keep the system updated with a mixture
> of source and RPM updates.
>

> On the other hand, at
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/SRPMS/
> one can find:
> alsa-lib-1.0.8-4.devel.src.rpm
> alsa-utils-1.0.8-4.src.rpm
>
> If you have set things up with all development packages (to compile things
> from source) you can install those, they will be in the /usr/src/redhat
> directory tree. In the /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/ directory you will
> find the *spec files.
>
> An
>
> rpmbuild -bb (whatever).spec
>
> should produce, in the /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/ directory the
> binary RPM for installation.

Rats. Checking my FC2 dvd (since I have it installed from source,
to find where the modules come from, I have to check the rpm packages
themselves to find the files) I see that it is the *kernel* RPM which
has the
  /lib/modules/[version]/kernel/sound/[varies]
modules.

So, if you do what I suggested, above, you would have an updated
lib and other parts, *but only* 1.0.6 for the actual driver
(and it is primarily the driver you want to update).

So, one would also have to use the development branch's kernel
update (assuming the kernel modules in that match the alsa lib
RPMs I suggested above) along with the lib packages in order to
get alsa updated (via RPM) to version 1.0.8.