Re: Trying to Update to fc2 from rh 8.0 - RPM Segmentation Fault (Repost)

DakaR wrote:
zmonteca wrote:

Right, but I am getting that nasty yum error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "/usr/bin/yum", line 22, in ?
   import yummain
 File "/usr/share/yum/yummain.py", line 22, in ?
   import clientStuff
 File "/usr/share/yum/clientStuff.py", line 18, in ?
   import rpm
ImportError: No module named rpm

Which I think is related to a a lacking rpm_python...this precious baby
is a mess right.

   Starting to sound like it...Try pointing at the RH9 repository and do a
yum update see if that fixes things...Until you can identify the real
culprit then you are stabbing in the dark....You could try rebuilding the
rpm database...Can't remember how to do that for the moment..I've been
using kubuntu for too long now :). But use google.com/linux and look for
something like fixing broken rpm database or similar. If you can find the
real problem and don't want to reinstall then you might be able to get a
tarball for your version and install that.

The only RH9 repo these days is via Fedora Legacy:

  http://www.fedoralegacy.org/

Keep in mind that all RH versions are EOL'd and all FC versions through FC3 are also EOL'd.

FC4 is the only version actively supported via the FC repos and FC5 is targetted for release next month.

As was stated previously in this thread, do not do an upgrade. You are asking for trouble by risking the mixing of programs from substantially different versions and many of these changes are quite non-trivial. Notable among the changes is going from the 2.4 series kernels to 2.6.

Download the ISO's, check the MD5 or SHA sums, burn CDs, run the media checks and re-install cleanly after repartitioning and formatting.

If you don't have a separate /home partition, back up what you need to and then restore after the install.

Create a separate /home partition during the new install to help avoid these problems in the future.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz

  • RE: redhat-list Digest, Vol 10, Issue 5
    ... rpm is your friend. ... I am trying to install the new kernel SMP update from Red Hat but my ... Obviously some really important system files reside on this partition ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: rsync progress
    ... rpm was also installed. ... I don't think you /can/ install rpm on Ubuntu. ... Package management systems are one of the deepest divides between Linux distros. ... The first distro, pretty much, was the Softlanding Linux System, SLS. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Dependencies
    ... Should you install it or no? ... RPM is just a low-level tool that does one thing and that one ... If getting the GPG keys causes you heartburn, ... > To stay in the RPM subject, Apache give keys for their tarball versions. ...
    (linux.redhat)
  • Re: Three newbie questions!
    ... You can see the main groups, then the applications ... Until you get to know the names of applications, it is best to use RPM ... You normally find a README, an INSTALL, and a doc ... If you have installed any libraries, then you must run the following ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • FW: [SLE] YaST Online Update Problem
    ... >>update one of the rpms manually to see if rpm will give you a better error ... >SuSE to try to apply one of the patches? ... >I've always used YaST for Online Updates and for installing new packages. ... Not only that, but at the end of the install, it ...
    (SuSE)